On 2005-05-24 at 22:10:08 Alexander S. Kunz wrote:

> Can someone give a short summary on the *advantages* of releasing software
> in an MSI install package?

- Required for Microsoft's "Designed for Windows" logo program
- Required for a bunch or corporate software deployment schemes
- Can provide "install on demand" feature from network sources
- Can provide "auto-healing" of damaged applications
- Can provide efficient patching for upgrades (theoretically, never
seen this in practice :)

...and probably a whole other slew of features, see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/msi/setup/about_windows_installer.asp
for all the gory details.

In fact, the system is so complex that only Microsoft seems to be able
to generate reasonably correct MSI installations.  And even then, they
fail regularly. :P

IMHO an installer (and its corresponding uninstaller) should be made
according to the KISS principle.  This reduces the changes of anything
going wrong during installation or removal of a software package.  MSI
is a clear example of a way over-designed installation system. :)

Anyway, we're getting offtopic now.  I guess RITLabs chose the MSI
path primarily for corporate installation support.

 Current beta is (none) | 'Using TBBETA' information: