Hello Natasha!

On Sunday, June 26, 2005, 7:56 PM, you wrote:

>>> ... BayesIt error was detected a few days later after the release
>>> - not after a few hours.

>> I think that Natasha spotted it within a few hours--unfortunately,
>> she put it in a correction, posted to herself, of her earlier post
>> to Maxim saying .31 was running fine. Rather than directly posting
>> the bug to Maxim.

> Quite so. I wanted to recant my earlier acceptance, and in so doing
> I made it more difficult than it should have been for Maxim to
> notice my report. It would have been more sensible to respond
> directly, quoting my original MID.

But, at least you did recant!

We are under time pressures, also, as we try to respond to the
programmers' posts.

So--even though I imposed on our friendship, Natasha, by citing your
post--I appreciate immensely the sweet spirit in which you have
replied to my comment.

> BTW, anyone have a handy macro to quote one message but reply to the
> initiator of the thread to which it belongs? (Actually, what I'd
> like is something similar to the PUT macro, but for MIDs, but I
> don't think this can be done with QTs.)

I hope you will get a response to this. I would find such a macro
handy, also.

>>> "Sufficient time" - that's the expression, that is interpreted in very
>>> different ways from all of us. ;)

>> I agree with you that sufficient time should mean at least one
>> day--especially given how the beta testers are scattered across all
>> the time zones of the world.

> Agreed.

>>> Nice Mary. I'll stand with you.

>> Yay! :girlcheer:

> Count me in, too.

Good! And I hope Maxim will keep on asking us general questions about
whether we think a particular beta is ready for adding to the public
download page, as well as specific questions that he needs our help
with.

>>> It sems to me he is one. A very good and competent one.

>> He's my hero!

> I  take  my  hat  off to 9Val, Maxim and the entire crew! ...

Oh, me too! I have seen more than one really knowledgeable person,
like you, Natasha, characterize them as brilliant programmers, with
very few peers in the business.

> ... I've seen a few recent comments worrying about the fact that
> sometimes fixes to one aspect of TB can 'break' seemingly unrelated
> aspects. FWIW, my personal opinion is that this isn't surprising. As
> I think I may have rambled about at other times, the complexity of
> the Windows APIs (especially since TB supports multiple Windows
> versions) and various email standards the guys are trying to work
> with makes development rather complex and (extrapolating from
> experiences on other projects) perhaps forces them into workarounds
> which may later prove unstable. Which explains why what 'seems'
> unrelated isn't always what 'is' unrelated. The team are also
> working under time and (presumably) budget constraints, which means
> they perhaps don't always get the choice of what to fix or even how
> to fix it. So it's only when these instabilities arise that they can
> the problems. This is also why some things which may seem 'trivial'
> at the time are repaired before other, apparently 'more important'
> items are looked at: those 'trivial' items may actually be
> prerequisites (direct, apparent or otherwise, to repairs of the
> larger items.

Ah. A very cogent analysis. Thanks--it makes quite a few things
clearer to me.

> And this is where we, as the beta team, come into the picture: users
> add that extra level of complexity (as if there weren't already
> enough :) ) that can almost never be accounted for in the lab for
> such a complex project, no matter how hard the team may try. We use
> different features of TB, different mail servers and protocols, and
> our cultural differences give us different perspectives on what's
> important to us in an email program. So when Maxim asks, "Is 3.5.31
> generally better than 3.5.30?", he knows RL think so, but also is
> aware that the diversity of beta testers makes us a much more
> demanding jury. He's also signalling to us that we're important to
> RL as well as acknowledging previous hastiness in uploading files to
> the public download site. I applaud him for all these reasons.

Yes. This was what I was trying to say. And you have really given it
life, mentioning all the details of our diversity.

>>> It was just a note, that me didn't really understand the question,
>>> nor it's origin.

>> It will help all the developers who post here, and they will
>> perhaps be able to tell us what they want in a little bit more
>> detail, in the futre.

Future. Mary, the typo wielder.

> Agreed. Detail is as valuable in questions as it is in answers.

Very well put! May I steal that beautifully coined aphorism as a tag
line? :)

Mary
The Bat 3.5.0.31 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 2