Hello Gleason,

Sunday, October 14, 2007, 3:19:49 PM, you scribbled:

GP> Yes, as I said a while ago, the success of Tbird is one of the issues
GP> that Rit must deal with very soon.  And I think glitter is very much a
GP> part of Tbird's appeal.

TBird is not glitter. It is a barebones, functional IMAP/POP client.
You can glitz it up with themes and extensions, but the program itself
is simple, it works and the average person can slide right into it.
That is the appeal, the learning curve is not steep. Glitter, now your
talking Pocomail. TB! and Pocomail share the same problem... to many
moving parts for the average computer user, too many buttons and
options to play with (and screw up). Joe Normal just wants to send and
receive e-mail comfortably and reliably, that's it. TB! is aimed at a
different user group than TBird. TB!'s market is (or should be) the
corporate market, small/home business user and any professional that
requires the advanced features TB! has to offer. TBird, according to
it's devs (I'll find a quote when I have a chance) was intended to
compete with OE for the average home user who just needs a basic
e-mail client.

The folks TB! is losing, I believe, are those who realize that it
is too much for them. There are more features than need or care to
figure out. They can go to TBird, set it up in seconds, hit send/receive,
reply to Mom and they're done 'til tomorrow, why pay for TB! when TBird
is free and much simpler?

GP> Actually, TB is not going to be simple, and people who have a lot of
GP> special email needs don't want it to be.  The problem is that this is
GP> a rather small part of the overall email client market, and there are
GP> 10-15 other clients all aiming for that same group.  TB really needs
GP> to stand out.  Appearance is an important part of that.

See above, TB! should not be aiming for the same user group that TBird
does. In your own words "people who have special e-mail needs...",
that is TB!'s niche, not Ma and Pa Kettle who get 1 or 2 e-mails a day
from the kids. Let Mozilla and MS fight over them...

Unfortunately for RITLabs, (other than the fact that they have a crappy
web site), they do not seem to be marketing towards the commercial
sector very heavily. I know my company execs love the TB!/Voyager
combo, however, reliability on the IMAP side makes it a nonstarter. We
use our own IMAP server with WebDAV for shared info. For us, it is a
lot more flexible than Exchange for the road warrior

--
Regards,
 Mike

TheBat! 3.99.25 on Windows Vista

 Current beta is (none) | 'Using TBBETA' information: