Hello Vili,

Saturday, May 30, 2009, 1:56:43 PM, you wrote:
> I hope, I dont offend anybody. I hope, Ritlabs are reading it too.
> Just went thru some mails and I hope I can rationalize why Ritlabs
> should work on IMAP.

 I know you mean well...

> The question in my profession is always this: what is the next big
> thing? And do that. What is the next big thing for an email client? If
> I am hearing right, a reliable, correct IMAP support with the
> filtering, etc. of The Bat! would be a big hit. Why? Nu such thing
> exists yet. So, if Ritlabs would spend time to do this, that would be

 ...but I am afraid this analysis is wrong.

 IMAP, as a selling point, might have been a big thing, but some 5-10
 years ago, when email still had value in itself. Now:
 - kids don't care about email (which tells you a bit about what to
     expect in the future),
 - enterprises care about more than just email -- collaboration is
     important (Outlook+Exchange is going to have an edge over TB!
     here),

 Now, it's too late. Ritlabs did not care about it when still had
 time. Do you think they will change anything now, when it's too late
 (and they know it)? I doubt it.

 Don't get me wrong. IMAP *is* important, for power users. This is not
 the majority of users but still (probably) a viable market share.
 It's just not the next big thing.

 The thing is that some people simply stopped waiting (because they
 understood there's no chance Ritlabs will ever have a working IMAP
 implementation) and moved on. IMAP makes it easy. You trust your
 server, you don't care about your client (as long as it works). They
 still use TB! but as soon as it starts to misbehave they take a
 different client. Day after day, the change continues to happen.

 We (this includes me) stopped paying. I don't think Ritlabs cares
 about it. Many people (who genuinely don't need IMAP or simply
 zealots) stayed. This is what makes keeping this ghost project alive
 viable for them (for some more time, at least).

 In any case, I very much doubt you will ever see a working IMAP
 implementation in this product.

 Robert Tomanek                            mailto:tbb...@mail.robert.tomanek.org