Monday, November 01, 1999, 11:28:35 AM, Ali wrote:
> Many OSS programmers chimed in at that point to say that they get paid to
> develop OSS. That's the funding I'm speaking about. If this type of funding
> doesn't in anyway apply to GNOME and KDE development, then I stand
> corrected.

    The point, though, is that since the code is put into Open Source to be
accepted and/or rejected on the technical merits, it is not subject to the
same manipulation as close source.  These programmers are getting paid to
code, not for the code.  There is a subtle difference.

> Exactly. It's windows. It's therefore not the users fault when that
> frustrating crash occurs. :)

    They chose to use it, didn't they?

>>     I'd wager that if they weren't imposed with Word and PowerPoint that the
>> grand total with Bash would be less.  :P

> They still need to do their wordprocessing and make slides for their
> boss's next presentation after learning Bash. :)

    My point was that if they weren't saddled with piece of shit software to
do those two tasks they would have a lot more free time.  IE...

Time&Effort(Word + Powerpoint) > Time&Effort(Other, better applications +
associated support programs)