Hi,

>> Probably, but I wouldn't make my choice of OS at home based on
>> that. :-)

> No, but it is about as valid a reason as any other.  IE... not all
> that valid.

No, not as valid a reason as "I don't want to work in two different
word processors, I want to be able to transfer stuff from work to
home", etc.  So it's not as valid a reason as any others.

>> I would tend to disagree. If you live, eat, and breath computers
>> all day, every day like some of us do, it becomes easy at some
>> point to instinctively understand things and know what's going on
>> behind the scenes.

> No, all it takes is a little common sense.

You really believe that?  You really believe all those years of
experience mean nothing when it comes to being able to figure out why
things are happening?   You think common sense alone will make someone
that is not technically oriented, be able to understand all that
technically oriented stuff?  OK.  :-\

>> Now... you guessed it, they complain because they have to wade
>> through so many hits.  They want only the hits that they can use
>> right then and they and want the software to weed out the rest, but
>> how in the &*#^ is the software supposed to know?

> Exactly.  And people wonder why I prefer Yahoo! to Altavista or
> Excite. 35,000 hits looks impressive but it is exactly as useful as
> 0 hits.  Try telling that to a lot of people, however.

We agree there.  The difference here is that we're talking about
people that want computers to do all of THEIR job for them.  They
think computers should make it so they don't have to think or do
anything anymore and that ain't right.

>> So, we try to modify and enhance software, not necessarily to coddle these
>> people, but maybe to make life easier for those of us who have to do the
>> support.

>     No, it is coddling, plain and simple.  Call it what it is.

I call it reality.  You're not going to change the users.  They don't
care what you expect of them and they are paying the bills.

>> If we gets calls about something enough times, we figure we'd get less calls
>> if we make a change (if it makes sense). Now I guess M$ has tried to do this
>> but they seem to have made a mess when they did it. That doesn't mean that
>> everyone has to make a mess when they do it though.

> No, it does.  By playing that game, by catering to every little
> newbie whim you end up with a system that is not internally
> consistent and is annoying to the majority of people.

No it doesn't, not if you do it right.  I'm not talking about catering
to every little newbie whim... read the (if it makes sense). If
everyone asks for something different, everything doesn't get put in.
A little intelligence and judgement goes into what actually ends up
going in.

> This isn't just M$, it is M$ and Mac and, as you pointed out,
> yourself.

I don't think I pointed that out at all.

>> Those developers that finally do it the right way... maybe by
>> having good judgement and not trying to put in everything including
>> the kitchen sink, but, instead, putting in the things that make the
>> most sense... are the ones that have the best software.

> Amazingly enough, that best software happens to be the ones that
> started this whole discussion.  The ones that are "hard to learn"
> and "cryptic."

This is YOUR opinion and is typically the case for a lot of power
users, not for occasional users. Most users are the latter.  Again,
they don't care if the support guy expects them to read up on things.
There's nothing that's going to make them.

> I can boil down this down to a statement I heard a while ago. "NT is
> designed so an idiot can administer the server.  Make it so an idiot
> can do that and only idiot's will."

Bashing NT has nothing to do with this mailing list or what this
thread started out about (though about 90% of your messages seem to
end up going in that direction). What it was about is people asking
for a new feature here and there which is certainly normal. Some
should go in, some shouldn't and it ends up being the choice of the
developers and that goes according to who they see their users as. If
they add a new feature, convenience or not, doesn't mean The Bat! will
all of a sudden turn into NT, or Oriffice, or anything else M$ as long
as they do it right.

> Tough, you need to learn a little bit.

That's just it.  They don't HAVE to, so they probably never will.  The
idiots rule.

Kevin