On Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:01:06 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

[....]
>     I don't use them in general.  I find that the space that it takes up on
> the display causes problems with me elsewhere as everything doesn't line up
> quite right.  Currently with TB! I have the folder view to the left go all the
> way down the length of the window.  The right has the message index which also
> goes all the way down the window.

I thought I'd insert my $0.02 here since I, like Steve, am one of the
                                         ^^^^^
                                         Please note the comma. ROTFL.
                                         It's amazing how a single
                                         punctuation mark can change
                                         the meaning completely. :))))
few who doesn't use the message preview/auto-view window.

I have a setup identical to Steve's and do prefer not using the
preview window for a couple reasons he sited, namely that it reduces
having to scroll through the message list since more of it is visible.
I am also able to display more of each message body at a time since my
folder view window is longer than my TB window, taking up almost the
whole length of the screen. I may also use a larger font size for
comfort.

Two additional points though:

The first is that the folder view window has more navigational
shortcuts and toolbar buttons available such as Ctrl+up/down and
Shift+Ctrl+up/down. These shortcuts do not work when navigating the
main windows message list.

The other thing is that when reading messages, especially with the
space bar or the arrow keys for that matter, I have to be fighting
with unexpected focus changes from the preview window to the message
list.

Take for example:

I index my messages in descending order so that I may read them using
the spacebar alone. I just jump from message to message.

If I start reading a message in the preview window, paging down with
the space bar, I start doing this with the focus on the preview
window. If I wish to go back up by a page, I simply hit the page-up
key. No problem. I now spacebar my way into the next message and
suddenly the focus goes to the message list, very often without my
realizing this. I wish to go back a page, so I hit the page-up key and
Shucks!, suddenly I am previewing a message one page up the message
listing! To avoid this I have to tab the preview window back into
focus.  Why the focus changes when moving from one message to the
next? I don't see why this has to be so but clearly can see why it
shouldn't be.

When reading with the folder view window, there is no focus to change,
unless you have the message list for the folder view window open,
which I don't. :) Everything therefore works a lot more smoothly and
predictably (maybe consistently is a better word), I don't
inadvertently jump to other messages while trying to read one message.
Messages aren't registered as read when I don't want them to be.

--
Ali Martin                     |     Using The Bat! v1.38e
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      |     Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 6)

   [ All computers wait at the same speed. ]
____