On  Sun,  2  Jan  2000  09:48:58  +0700 GMT your local time, which was
Sunday,  January  02,  2000, 09:48:58 [GMT+0700] my local time, tracer
told to the list, and this is my reply :

Syafril>> This  month  my  server  will  change  the  connection, from
Syafril>> 10BaseT  HUB  connection  to  100BaseT  Switch,  also  I 'll
Syafril>> upgrade  the HDD and RAM (now using IDE 4 GB and 128 MB RAM)
Syafril>> to  SCSI  and  256  MB  RAM,  I  hope  the  performance will
Syafril>> increase.

t> I  would  recommend  first  adding  the  ram  and  then seeing what
t> happens.  You  need 2 drives anyway and if you want more speed, you
t> could be better off buying some UDMA 66 drives and a new board then
t> buying  the  scsi  drives of high speed. Latest AOPEN can do almost
t> any chips (with risercards) and runs about S$150.

Right, that is what's I am planning, though.
My  motherboard  only  support UDMA33, but I will wait for a while for
upgrading  to  UDMA66  due  Intel  still  having problem with his i820
chipset  (for  AGP  VGA), and max. RAM limited to 512 MB only. I heard
that VIA have the solution for AGP, I didn't test it.

The weakness of IDE drive is slow for POP/HTTP/FTP server, but I found
after tweaking UDMA channel the performance increase significant.

t> A  friend  just  got one and while the setting up took him a bit of
t> time,  it  now  runs a coppermine 500 at 700, UDMA drives run about
t> 16mb/sec.... Board will also run a celeron /P2 so its a nice way to
t> upgrade and MUCH cheaper then high speed scsi!

Agree.

t> Donot forget you need at least 2 drives anyway....

Yupe, I'll make the second one as swap drive and FTP directory.

Thanks for the advise.

--
Kind Regards,

-syafril-

................Opinions expressed are only mine................
Name    : Syafril Hermansyah
Company : Duta Integrasi Pratama - Indonesia
Voice   : (62) (21) 385-1600 / 351-8446
Fax to  : (62) (21) 351-9241
Mailto  : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Created : Sunday, January 02, 2000, 21:48:23 (GMT +07:00)