Saturday, January 08, 2000, 4:58:38 AM, Allie wrote:
> This means that you'll see the delete confirmation whenever you wish to do a
> delete operation deemed 'dubious'. Still in contrast to a popup message that
> appears *only* when you fail to do the right thing. :)

    However, in this case, you've not failed to do the right thing.

> Perhaps I should say 'fail to do what you should' rather than the right
> thing because I know of no rule where you must include a subject. Netiquette
> guidelines do say that you should:

>From RFC822:

     A.3.  COMPLETE HEADERS

     A.3.1.  Minimum required

     Date:     26 Aug 76 1429 EDT        Date:     26 Aug 76 1429 EDT
     From:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   or   From:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
     Bcc:                                To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Note that the "Bcc" field may be empty, while the  "To"  field
        is required to have at least one address.

    Simply stated you need to have DATE and FROM at all times.  TO is optional
in the presence of BCC and BCC is optional in the presence of TO.

    Subject is defined as an additional header.  It is not required.

>         <quote>  "When you send an email message, your return address
>         usually appears automatically. You just need to fill in the "To"
>         line (with the recipient's email address) and the "Subject" line
>         (with a clear and concise description of the subject of your
>         message)." </end quote>

> A reminder is not not a foofie from this POV, since it's courteous to
> include a subject in 99.9% of instances, you may break threads without it. I
> have no problem with it. :)

    So in the above paragraph the requirement of a TO is false.  The
requirement of a subject is also false.

    You also should put a sig delimiter, have the sig less than 5 lines, write
in English, use proper spelling, quote properly, do not ramble on excessively,
not flame someone, etc.

    I do not advocate the computer making a warning on each of these "shoulds"
as it would be user hostile to do so.  Warning on anything other than
technical requirements is user hostile and should be left out.

    One "may" break threads.  But that is why we have In-Reply-To and
References, isn't it?