Tuesday, January 11, 2000, 12:44:38 AM, Oleg wrote:
> There is editing and editing. When people will realize that editing message,
> editing program, editing HTML, editing presentation, editing newspaper are
> different tasks, they will not want one editor for everything.

    I do realize they are different tasks.  I also realize that the underlying
concept to most of those is this:  ASCII text.

    When I am editing news, mail, programming, writing poetry, changing my
configuration, whatever I am simply editing ASCII text.  My editor changes
itself to become appropriate for the task at hand.

    When programming vim highlights the keywords, variables, operators and
such differently.  The same block of text in an email message wouldn't be
highlighted...  Unless it was a quote or in someone's sig in which case it
would be highlighted as a quote or a sig.

    Quick templates are nothing more than imported text with replacement of
macros.  That can be achieved several different ways.

    When will people realize it is better to use one editor when the
underlying data is the same (ASCII text) so you only need to learn one set of
commands and capabilities and then demand that the *EDITOR* change look and
feel to fit the task at hand than to have multiple editors with multiple
interfaces, multiple capabilities, multiple command sets and constantly asking
a dozen or so different authors to reimplement feature X from editor Y in
editor Z because they find it useful?