Follow up & new problem/issue.

AM> *2. Mail Folders:  .BCK, .BK0, .BK1, IBO, IB1*
> AM> My individual mail folders have a lot of OLD files (at least +1 year)
> that
> AM> have extensions that look like the above. usually named something like
> AM> MESSAGES.BCK
> I get the .BCK files when I try to back-up or compress folders and
> there is some problem. Next time the file extension increases to .BK0,
> then .BK1, then .BK2 and so on. You can recover messages from there,
> but I usually decide that I don't miss any messages, so I delete these
> files.
> I have never seen .IB0 or .IB1 files.

1.  I went ahead and deleted everything that looked like a backup -- it's
possible that some of the odd extensions (like IBO) were created by some
other backup or virus protection program a long the way... but the main
thing was all those files were at least a year old, so whatever they are, I
don't need them now.

AM> *1. Attachment Folder,  *.msg extensions*
> *.msg should be messages that were attached to emails. You can
> double-click on them and then they will open in TB!. So you can decide
> whether you want to keep them.

2. I did figure out how to read them.  I didn't want to open them up in TB
because I wanted the program to be closed while I was doing the cleanup, but
I found another utility that made it easy to drag & drop & read.

I  delete the Cache and the imgfiles folder several time a day. I view
> a  lot of graphics and things can get out of control quickly. I have a
> batch  file to do it on the fly, but it is part of my Ccleaner routine
> too

3. Once I deleted the contents of the "cache" file it didn't come back, and
all of the files in the cache were pretty old, so I'm guessing that it might
not be used with version  5.   Nothing at all is in the imgfiles directory
other than two empty files called FilesDB.info and FilesDB.info__

Maybe that has something to do with my settings.

4.  Now for the new/different problem or bug.

I have always had TheBat configured to save all attachments to a separate
folder (rather than the body of messages).   I was housecleaning because the
attachments folder seemed to have grown extremely large.   I discovered to
my dismay when doing the cleaning that TheBat had created multiple copies
many of the attachments, generally with names following this pattern:
 filename.ext, filename1.ext, filename2.ext -- and I could see that recent
copies of the documents seemed to correspond with the date/time that
scheduled backups are run on my system.  This happened with many, but not
all, attachments.  Sometimes there were as many as 60 copies of the same
file.   Obviously a problem when it is a large file to start with, but even
with small files is all adds up.

I SUSPECT that this may be tied to "parked" emails.  I've always known that
TheBat has the annoying tendency to make extra copies of parked emails from
time to time, but it didn't occur to me that it might be replicating the
attachments as well.

Since the time of the duplication seems to also correlate with automated
backup, I've decided to stop backing up the attachments folder. (I have
alternate backup in place for that,  so that would be easy enough to restore
if needed).

But I wanted to raise this as this is definitely an issue that could impact
performance for others - so it is something to watch out for.  I had noticed
that the routine backups were starting to take very long to complete -- now
I have an idea what was going on, though I still don't know why it happened.

-Abigail