> Jack, thank you very much! I don't know if this will work, but is
> certainly worth a try. Does this only work if both machines are running
> on the same network, or, do they just need to be able to access the
> Internet?

Since their home page is clear that the program syncs things via The Cloud,
it would require all machines involved to connect via the internet, which
might (let me emphasize MIGHT) be a security risk.

For more than seven years now, I've run my copy of The Bat! in a way that
allows me to access it from any workstation on my home-office LAN; that's
by running it in a virtual machine using Oracle's VirtualBox virtualization
program, and accessing it via the Remote Desktop protocol. Only machines on
my local network can access it. This means I have only one copy of TB! and
it is running 24/7, checking for new mail every 7 minutes.

My solution might not be acceptable in your case, since if one of you were
actually using TB! at any given instant, the other would not be able to
connect until the first person hung up the RDP connection. (It's possible
to configure RDP to allow multiple connections, but would be best to leave
it at the default single-connect-only setting because two people trying to
type at once would simply create a mess).

Several years ago, I used an open-source program similar to PC Anywhere,
called UltraVNC, that allowed my customers to connect to my system over the
internet, with the connection encrypted with a key known only to me and
built into the UltraVNC client I made available to the customers. This gave
me full access to their system but under their control. If it's still
around, you could use this to allow each laptop to connect to the desktop
via UltraVNC, from anywhere at all, but again it would be single-user at a
time. Just a couple of thoughts for alternate solutions...

Jim                            mailto:j...@jimkyle.com

Using The Bat! v4.2.36.4 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600
Service Pack 3 on VirtualBox 4.2.18 under Xubuntu 12.04.3 with
AntiSpamSniper Version 3.2.4.5