Hello Thomas,

TF> I use port 465, and if you see this, it works again.

TF> Temporary problem. Happens sometimes with them, once or twice a year.

This  does  not  make  sense.   My  problem is not with the receipt of
e-mail.  It  is  with  the sending of e-mail.       Also, I use e-mail
6  days  a  week,  52  weeks a year and have been doing so for over 15
years.  I only had a similar problem some years ago -- I believe.

However, I have an update:

I  just  finished  speaking with tech support for 1&1.com.  He changed
the  setting from "Secure to regular port (STARTTLS)" to "Regular" and
he changed the port from 587 to 25.  With these changes, I am now able
to  send  e-mail,  although it is now no longer encrypted.  His second
level  support  thought  my  firewall  or  anti-virus was causing this
problem,  but  that  makes  no  sense because both I and my wife began
having the problem at the same time even though we are using different
firewalls  and  anti-virus  programs.   (And someone on this list also
reported  having  the  same  problem!!!)   He promised to look into it
further.

--
Avi

Avram Sacks, using The Bat! ver. 6.0.0.28 on Win 7 Pro