Tom Plunket wrote:

> I would say for nearly as long as there's been data entry too.  I used
> IBM S/36 for a while, and I don't know if that predates PCs or not
> (386 was top-of-line when I was on S/36),

Yes, definitely the /3x series predates the PC.

> but I got the impression that IBM has had tab assigned to the
> switching of fields for as long as they've been making
> minicomputers.

That's correct. It has been on the /34, and that's about 20 years
ago...

> Which begs the question of why TB! wants to be another Esc-Meta-Alt-
> Ctrl-Shift (aka emacs) piece of software as opposed to the (more
> standard) one-key for each operation.

Heavily used functions should be accessible with only one/two
keystrokes. In many newsreaders there is the common behaviour to use
the space key for nearly everything (when dealing with
reading of threads/messages). YMMV
--
Ingo