Hi Joe,

On 01 August 2000 at 18:11:07 GMT -0500 (which was 00:11 where I
live) [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote and made these points on the subject
of "Colour groups?":

MDP>> That particular message preview window is a cross section of all
MDP>> folders and only contains new messages.

JF> I.e., the messages that are in the "inbox" equal the messages
JF> observed in the message preview window?

Certainly  not.  Given  that  my  filters  have  already  coloured and
distributed  all  of  my  new  messages throughout my (rather complex)
folder  hierarchy  little, if any, new mail actually sits in my inbox.
If  it  did, I wouldn't need the ticker to gather it all back together
again.

MDP>> It is a virtual folder that doesn't exist anywhere else and
MDP>> cannot be accessed anywhere else other than via the ticker.
MDP>> *That's* why I say I use the ticker virtual folder to manage new
MDP>> mail.

JF> Well, that comment makes it all that much more muddled for me...so I
JF> think I'll let that one pass for awhile, okay?

The comment I made above should clarify *why* it is necessary and that
may reduce the muddle.

JF>>> Is this filtering done under the John Doe/Jane Doe Accounts? Or
JF>>> under each mailbox's individual preferences, e.g., Tom Smith, Mary
JF>>> Smith, Toby Smith, et al.?

MDP>> Each  account  has its' own Filter set accessible using the Account --
MDP>> Sorting Office / Filters option of the main TB window.

JF> I think we're losing something in the semantics here.

JF> When *I* use the word "Account," I mean the actual e-mail
JF> "Account"(s) of the user. The one with the "@"(s) in front of
JF> them.

JF> Not the "mailboxes" underneath the Accounts.

I  don't  think  you're  understanding yourself here <g>. A mailbox is
another  word  for  an  account.  A  folder  is  just a place to store
received  messages within an account (or a mailbox - whatever you want
to call it) - a location for a filter to move things to.

JF> In the example I gave you:

JF> @John Doe
JF>       Joe Smith

JF> @John Doe is the name of the user, and the addressee to which all
JF> the incoming mail is addressed.

Right. A mailbox. Or an account. Same thing.

JF> Joe Smith, on the other hand(no "@"), is just a "mailbox" for
JF> placing mail coming from Joe Smith that happens to be addressed to
JF> @John Doe.

That's called a "Folder" not a "mailbox".

JF> So my question again is this:

JF> Is all the filtering for Joe Smith's messages done under the @John
JF> Doe Account? Or is it done under the Joe Smith "account" or
JF> mailbox?

Folders  don't  have  filters. Accounts have filters. Here is how your
account / folder diagram should look:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        the main account
   Inbox                    the account's default folders
   People
       John Doe             more folders at sub-levels to
       John Jones           better organize things.
   Outbox
   Sent
   Trash

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        a second account for JohnSmith
   Inbox
   etc.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]          Jane Doe's account
   Inbox
   etc.

JF> Now if this try didn't explain it well enough, then I don't know
JF> about you, but *I'm* going to go get drunk and start all over
JF> again tomorrow morning.

:>>)

If  you  re-read  what  has  been  said  so  far  throwing  away  your
terminological  preconceptions  and thinking in terms of "Accounts and
Folders"  instead of "Accounts and Mailboxes" then you will understand
the prompts, options and settings as seen in the TB dialogs and (FWIW)
help file.

HTH

--
Cheers,