Since  I  don't  like  the way that my fave e-mail
program  Eudora  is  heading, I decided to try The
Bat  for a while. It looks very much like the mail
client  I might switch to, but after fiddling with
it for a while - and checking the FAQ and the help
files  - I still have a couple of questions.

I hope that more experienced users can help me.

1. If you move your cursor down in the window in
which you are editing your mail (e.g. move it down
to the next empty line), it goes down but stays in
the same column (read: horizontal axis) and
doesn't go to the beginning of the line or the
last words in it, as it should (since the space
after the last words is empty and not filled with
trailing spaces). Is this a bug, or a feature that
can be turned off? I find this very annoying,
especially since I tend to edit my messages a
_lot_ while composing them, and afterwards my
cursor is never where I expect it to be. Take
Word, Eudora or Agent: they all behave according
to standard, but The Bat doesn't. I expect my
cursor to move to the beginning of a line when
there are no spaces in that line.

2. The tab. When I have "auto-format" on - I want
to, I like it, I need it because I rewrite a lot -
I can't seem to add a new parapraph to a
section.Nor can I end a paragraph, give a tab for
indent, and continue: (example:         this).
See? The Bat's editor automatically purges the
carriage return and moves the "<tab>this" (see
above) back to the end of the previous line. Or
look at my garbled .sig: I can't seem to start on
a new bit of the quoted conversation on a new
line; only when I add a blank line.

3. The cookie file is a great feature and allows
for rotating signatures. The help file is however
not too helpful as to the format of the cookie
file. After some experimenting, I discovered that
each entry should have a line of its own, no
line-breaks, and no empty lines between entries.
But the cookies show up in one unbroken line
whenever I start composing an e-mail or hit reply.
How do you make your cookie-entries wrap?

4. Although The Bat claims to have "HTML auto
view" and while I have Options --> HTML auto view
on, I get to see all the html-mail as plain text,
tags included. There is no informationto be found
in the FAQ nor in the help file. Actually, HTML is
not mentioned in the help file at all -- except in
the description of the new features of the update
to The Bat.

5. When will the developpers add proportional
fonts? I _hate_ proportional. Suddenly my mail
looks ugly.(Yes, I saw the workaround in the FAQ,
and I might try it, but I like Arial best).

6. Why isn't the "Find" utility listed under the
Tools menu? As of now, one can only find it in the
Icon toolbar.

7. I'd like to be able to tell The Bat to
automatically focus on my Inbox when new mail has
arrived. yes, it's a Eudora habit ;-)

For the rest, I am quite impressed. And I'm sure
I'll have more questions while I proceed to
explore The Bat.

- K -

--

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can
make words mean so many different things.' 'The