On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 02:36:13AM +0200, Karin Spaink wrote:
> 1. Why does my reply to Januk gets garbled in the Subject line and suddenly
> gets "Re[2]: etc" instead of your standard "Re: etc"?

    TB! loves to count replies for some reason.  You can turn that off in the
templates.  The exact macro eludes me at the moment.  Again, on Linux, not
Windows.

> 2. How come that Ctrl-Z only works partially? What I added (new CR's) can be
> undone, but what I inadvertedly deleted cannot be brought back.

    That always annoyed me.  Call it a bug.  Of course, falls back to my whole
"should use an external editor in the first place" kick.  Already the editor
is annoying you in several ways.  If it were external you'd just continue
running the editor you'd always run.

> I severely dislike this feature. It is in itself a reason to give up The Bat
> (and explore other clients). But apart from my personal likes and dislikes,
> I don't think that your argument holds.  Yes, this is a nice feature when
> you make a table; but how often do you make a table as compared to you
> editing your message and moving up and down through it?

    See, another fine case for an external editor.  I never, EVER understood
why Windows clients insisted on including internal editors on everything under
the sun.  Complete waste of time.  We've been over this Allie, you're not
convincing me because, as I said, once the user learns one editor they are
/done/ learning editors.  Here they never stop having to learn new editors and
that wastes time.

> I am growing more used to it, but I find all the extra keystrokes a hassle.
> And it _is_ non-standard.

    Tell me, what /is/ standard in editors?  :)

    Exactly, there isn't a standard, at least not for the more advanced
features of an editor.  I only know the CUA defines keystrokes for certain
behaviors, nothing more.

> That is more than just a matter of taste: it's a national habit. And I am
> not US or Canadian. To people I correspond with, it looks weird; and to my
> peers -- I am a writer -- it looks awkward. A tab is the marker for a
> paragraph, a blank line the marker for a new idea.

    On paper, yes.  In electronic mail, no.

> Listen. I am demanding. I know that. And I am not trying to piss you off.
> But I _am_ desperate for a mail client that has lots of features and can be
> fine-tuned to a huge degree.

    BIG HINT TO AUTHORS AND EVERYONE ELSE HERE: Notice here he(?) says he is
looking for an email client which is tunable yet all his complaints, thus far,
have been with the /editor/?

> The reasons? I get heaps of mail (so I need good filtering and
> auto-replies), I type fast but with lots of errors (so they should be easy
> to correct and my cursor should be easy to focus), I use my mail client 10
> hours per day. I hate the bloatware that Eudora is becoming and I dislike
> the road that they are taking. I have been using Eudora for 5 years.
> Basically, I want all it had plus some bug-fixing and less new (stupid)
> features.

    Let me ask you a simple question.  If you could replace the editor with
something else, go out to an external editor so you could choose the editor
you wanted to use (personally, I'd use VIM but most people here don't want to
deal with a VI clone with tons of added features) would you take that route
and keep TB?