Steve,

Regarding your message dated: 17 September 2000...

SL>     That is the Microsoft standard, not /A/ standard.  There is a big
SL> difference.  AFAIK the CUA (a standard) defines what keystrokes do, not editor
SL> behavior.  There is a difference.

True enough but given that TB! runs under Windows exclusively (unless
I really missing something...) then I think it is fair to assume that
the Windows Keystroke standard is an acceptable common standard that
everyone already knows... it may not be a pleasant fact but I'm sure
it's true.

For curiosity's sake, I just looked at the options available in
TextPad which is my preferred Windows editor for all my other text
manipulation tasks.  Textpad offers the following choices...

             TextPad
             Brief
             IBM Personal Editor
             Microsoft Applications
             Textpad 2
             Wordstar

I would assume that the target to hit to make the most users happy is
the 4th one - the Microsoft Applications - given that it covers the
most bases on a Windows platform.  I don't know if any of the above
approach the CUA standard you mentioned but I recall from the days I
had to edit files under unix on a regular basis that I really disliked
the emacs based editors because the keystrokes required were
completely alien to me.  Yes, I know that emacs can adopt Windows like
functionality and that it probably is the most ultra-extensible editor
in the world but I ended up using either nEdit for its Windows-like
keystroke compatibility or vim if the job was quick and simple.

I guess we'll not get anywhere without an editor that suits our own
preferences but for the majority of windows users that does mean 'what
they already know' and TB! isn't that.  If they don't have the
time/inclination to learn then they'll pass it over.  I'm glad I
invested the time to learn the editor - it's a benfit to me but maybe
I'm just one of the lucky ones...

Cheers,

Mark

 Using TheBat! 1.46c Windows NT 4 0 1381 Service Pack 6
 Just4Fun - Freestuff, Humour and More! - http://just4fun.ipfox.com/
 Mark R Harding
 The Integrated Systems Group (Vision)
 Department of Electronics & Electrical Engineering
 The University of Edinburgh, King's Buildings, Mayfield Road
 Edinburgh. EH9 3JL. Scotland. U.K.

 Phone:  +44 (0)131 650 5662
 Fax:    +44 (0)131 650 6554
 Email:  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]