On Friday, September 22, 2000, 1:23:08 AM, Deryk wrote:

>> How would you create a filter to do this?  I know how to create a
>> filter to apply a colour group.  What I don't know is how you would
>> define which messages would be assigned this colour group.  That is,
>> what do you do to get TB to identify the messages that are replies
>> to your messages?

> If you only use one email address, it's quite simple.  Create an
> inbox filter that looks for "\[EMAIL PROTECTED]" in the kludges ie.
> it's in the format "\d@<your email domain>" for every email
> address you have. In the actions - tell it to set a certain colour
> format.  Under options, tell it to continue processing other
> filters and to use regular expressions.

Should work fine in most cases. Unfortunately, not all message ID
are in that format. I've seen message IDs not ending with a number
before the "@".

> This only works with replies from email clients that use
> in-reply-to and/or reference headers (ie the ones that work with
> "thread by reference") but most of them do anyway.

It seems that those web-based emailers (Yahoo mail and the like)
don't.

> In threads, it highlights anything "under" one of your posts, eg. if
> someone replies to you, then somebody else replies to *that* reply,
> that message will also be marked.  I like it that way - it keeps track
> not only of messages directly to you but also messages "caused" by
> something you said.  Easiest way to understand is to try it.

I personally use a different scheme. I don't want all messages
following up on mine to be color coded, only those directly replying
to mine. Additionally, I want messages mentioning my name to be
color coded as well, regardless to whom they are replying. So,
here's my filter:

String               Location   Presence
TBUDL|TBBETA|TBOT    Sender     Yes
["Ming"]             Anywhere   Yes

(Other mailing lists in alternative sets). Note the square brackets
and quotation marks are necessary.

I use "Ming" instead of "Ming-Li" because sometimes people call me
"Ming" only. This would nevertheless fail miserably if my sister
(her name is Ming-Yi) signs on to the same mailing lists, or if I'm
in a group of which the topic is about Chinese history, for there
may be many messages about the "Ming Dynasty". . Fortunately nothing
like these has happened so far, and I'll deal with it when it comes.
:)

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.47 Beta/5 | Win2k SP1