On Thursday, September 21, 2000, 6:48:45 PM, John wrote:

> At the moment it's still the best email client around, but today
> I've been playing around with the beta of Becky v2 (now on to beta
> 28 and close to the finished article), and if the finished product
> fulfils the promise of the beta, I might be tempted to make the
> switch.

I tried out Becky v2 betas (up until beta 20) and TB at the same
time, when I was looking for a new email program. I have to say
Becky also impressed me and had some features I like that TB didn't
(and doesn't) supply. Still, I think it's second, albeit closer than
others, to TB, hence my decision to go with TB. Why should I settle
for the second if I could have the best.

It's a matter of taste and need, though, so I won't say you're out
of your mind for feeling tempted.

> For those TB users out there who absolutely positively have to have
> 3,000 templates for every conceivable purpose, then TB is the only
> option.

That's not me. I use templates sparingly.

> For the rest of use, Becky v2 looks like a powerful, highly
> customisable program with a nice editor and, yes, a proper HTML
> viewer using IE (okay, the paranoid can stay away, but for the
> rest of us who enjoy reading HTML newsletters and the like...)

No comment on customizability and the editor. Suffice it to say I
don't remember any particular complaint about them. HTML viewing
through IE's ActiveX control troubled me. Privacy and security
issues aside (since you've dismissed those), Becky looses control
over some aspect of message viewing with that approach, at least
that's the case when I tried. Some of the html messages came in with
the wrong encoding, and I couldn't change the encoding to make them
look right. It's because encoding change only affects what's
displayed by Becky itself, not including html messages displayed by
IE engine. I couldn't change the encoding from IE either for it's
displayed in Becky!

> But, as mentioned above, I enjoy, like millions of other web
> users, reading a variety of web newsletters, and you cannot escape
> the fact that a well-produced HTML newsletter is a much more
> enjoyable read.

Other than not running scripts, ActiveX controls, Java appelets, and
not fetching images (and files) linked over the Internet (instead of
attached in the message), TB renders html pages fine here. Those are
turned off for security and privacy concerns. I do agree those
restrictions can be made optional, at the user's own risk.
Personally, I wouldn't want to turn those on, though.

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.47 Beta/5 | Win2k SP1