On Saturday, October 21, 2000, 8:31:23 AM, Jan wrote:

> JR: Ming Li, I must confess to being completely confused  now.

Oh-oh.

> I thought the rules were divided by "ands" unless  separated  by
> the  "|"  command  in  which  case  "or"  conditions  would apply.

If you mean "within" a rule set, yes, you're right.

> And  when  an alternative was  offered to a  rule it  was this
> rule *or* this alternative  or  this  alternative,  etc.

That's right!

> What's the difference between  what I  set  up & what you  set
> up?

Let's simplify it and see if it helps. Your original filter is like
this:

Rule move messages to folder trash

Strings   Location    Present
A         recipient   no

Alternatives
B         recipient   no
C         recipient   no

So logically it's

IF (not A) OR ((not B) AND (not C)) THEN move to trash

See? "OR" is used between rule sets (the main rule set and the
alternative rule set), while "AND" is used between the two rules in
the alternative rule sets.

Let's resolve it to:

IF (not A) OR (not (B OR C)) THEN move to trash

Here the first OR is the original one linking two rule sets, and
the second OR is because we take the "NOT" outside.

Let's further resolve it to:

IF not (A AND (B OR C)) THEN move to trash

and further:

IF (A AND (B OR C)) THEN DON'T move to trash

which is:

IF (A and B) OR (A and C) THEN DON'T move to trash

So what would stay (not moved to trash)? Answer: (A and B) OR (A and C)

Let's put your original signal strings and location back, and it becomes:

Recipient is ([EMAIL PROTECTED] AND [EMAIL PROTECTED]) OR
Recipient is ([EMAIL PROTECTED] AND Jan Rifkinson)

As you can see, the second part is likely to happen, while the first
part isn't.

Now let's see mine:

Rule move messages to folder trash
Strings   Location    Present
A         recipient   no
B         recipient   no
C         recipient   no

which is logically:

IF (not A) AND (not B) AND (not C) THEN move to trash

Note that all rules are linked with "AND" for they are in the
same rule set. Now let's resolve it to:

IF not (A OR B OR C) THEN move to trash

Further:

IF (A OR B OR C) THEN DON'T move to trash

which is:

IF (A OR B OR C) THEN DON'T move to trash

Putting back the original signal strings and location, and it's:

IF Recipient is ([EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] or Jan Rifkinson)
THEN DON'T move to trash

Isn't that what you want?

> Rule move messages to folder trash
> Strings                                                Location  Present
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Jan Rifkinson  recipient no

This is the most confusing part. On its face, it seems to mean:

NOT (A or B or C)

But in fact, TB interpret it as: (NOT A) or (NOT B) or (NOT C)

To avoid confusion, I suggest don't use the "|" together with "No"
in Presence. (Some would advice avoiding "|", period, which is a
fine suggestion. I personally use it, for it's convenient. But be
sure you know what TB would do with it.)

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.47 Beta/7 | Win2k SP1