Hi Douglas,

On 05 December 2000 at 21:15:23 -0600 (which was 03:15 where I
live) Douglas Hinds wrote and made these points:

MDP>> Actually, to be fair, one cannot "index" a digest unless it is
MDP>> HTML,

DH> I'm not sure that's true. I was getting a digest that was indexed
DH> after asking for that and it's not html - it's just text. I could
DH> forward or redirect an issue to your personal email account if you
DH> like. Or send the header info w/ the index & part of the text. (I
DH> finally did that below).

I see. The index isn't actually interactive then. It appears to have a
summary of message subjects at the top of the digest with the messages
laid out to follow.

MDP>> The only thing that could be done to improve a plain text
MDP>> digest AFAIK is to use MIME digest format. TB handles these
MDP>> well by offering a virtual folder in which to browse the digest
MDP>> as individual messages.

DH> Could you explain that (or point to a reference)?

Sure.   If  you  MIME  forward  a  bunch  of  messages  (see  "Account
Preferences  -- Forward -- Use MIME standard" option) to yourself, you
will  receive  them as a "MIME digest". Have a look at that and you'll
understand, I'm sure.

MDP>> Not  merely  difficult... impossible with the current release of
MDP>> the  server  engine we use. It is on the manufacturers wish-list
MDP>> to improve the digest aspects of the list server software.

DH> (Netscape Messaging Server 3.62)  with SMTP id 211

DH> That's what the headers say are being used with the indexed digest
DH> I referred to. Perhaps you could explain the technical differences
DH> that permit the above to do what evidently can't happen w/ the
DH> server engine being used with TBUDL. Maybe the X-Mailer has
DH> nothing to do with it (does it)?

It  doesn't.  The "Messaging Server" is the relevant component. We use
MDaemon.  It is a *beast* of a mail server which gives us full control
and  accessibility.  Over  and above that it is capable of running ISP
level  e-mail  provision  services  under the Win family OS. I use the
same  software here to handle the silverstones.com email requirements,
which  includes  multiple  mailboxes  for  the  whole  family and some
friends,  collection  and  forwarding  services  for other friends and
several private mailing list for product support and team working.

The  conversation we had about ISP recipient limits doesn't touch me -
my local MDaemon *is* my ISP SMTP server.

Although  MDaemon  is  a  superb  all-rounder, the list-server engine,
while   being   excellent   at   the   mechanics  of  maintenance  and
distribution,  has  shortcomings in its digest implementation. Just as
Word,  Word-perfect  and  AMI  all  perform  similar  word  processing
functions but each lacks something the other may handle with ease (I'm
guessing here, so don't ask me to substantiate this).

We  are  unlikely to change software. Both Syafril and I are committed
to MDaemon and are an integral part of the Beta team for the software.

- --
 Cheers,
 .\\arck
[    Marck D. Pearlstone | Consultant Software Engineer          ]
[ PGP Key ID: 0x929DCDA0 | www: http://www.silverstones.com      ]
[ PGP Key: http://www.silverstones.com/MarckPGP.asc              ]

 When writing 10 puns for a competition, a man expected at least one to win.
No pun in ten did.