Hi Daniel,

On 20 December 2000 at 16:49:47 +0100 (which was 15:49 where I
live) Daniel Morton wrote and made these points:

DM> What I want to know is about its virus protection system and spam
DM> mail. OE is targetted for viruses (using its address book) either
DM> b/c it is known or vulnerable or both. Is The Bat address book and
DM> file attachment system and whatever else makes email programs
DM> susceptible better protected again virus proliferation?

Completely!  TB does not respond to "GET" requests in HTML mail so you
are  protected  in that way. TB does not auto-execute any attachments.
If  you attempt to launch a suspicious attachment, TB will warn you in
no uncertain terms that you are running a risk of viral infection.

A  virus  was  sent  to  this  list  last  week. Nobody reported being
affected  by  it  but  we  all noticed and and remarked upon it in the
bemused detachment of the smugly immune :-).

DM> and how about spam mail, what can I do to stop it coming through?

There  is a much vaunted spam filtering system which many here employ.
It consists of the following sorting office practices:

1) Set up filters for family/friends to move mails to specific folders
2) Set up filters for the lists you frequent to move mails to specific
   folders.
3) Set up a single catch all filter at the end of the above list of
   filters (filters are processed top-down sequentially) to filter all
   messages addressed to *you specifically* to the Inbox.
4) Set up a final filter to move anything with an 'e' in the headers
   to a "Spam" folder and mark it as "read".

This catches 95% of all spam coming into my system.

Once  in  a  while  I visit my spam folder and transcribe the messages
over to http://spamcop.com to get to perpetrators dealt with properly.

HTH

- --
 Cheers,
 .\\arck
[    Marck D. Pearlstone | Moderator TBUDL / TBBETA              ]
[ PGP Key ID: 0x929DCDA0 | www: http://www.silverstones.com      ]
[ PGP Key: http://www.silverstones.com/MarckPGP.asc              ]
[    Any opinions are my own and not those of RIT labs           ]
TB! v1.48e S/N 14F4B4B2 on Windows NT 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 1