Hi Allie,

On 26 December 2000 at 19:31:54 -0500 (which was 00:31 where I
live) A . Curtis Martin wrote and made these points:

ME>> I agree with you here, a good AV program is *never* superfluous. TB
ME>> isn't the *only* program running accessing the internet and there are
ME>> always the floppy disks.

ACM> I don't think Marck is or ever was saying that anti-virus
ACM> software is superfluous. He was simply saying that TB! will not
ACM> infect your machine with a virus unless you specifically
ACM> intervene by running the virus. TB! will not execute malicious
ACM> java script in HTML e-mail. That's all he was saying.

Exactly  right.  As  I  said,  I do run an AV program to check whether
something that's come in is infected or not.

ME>> So I think Marck has been lucky so far...but his time will come
ME>> one day.. (I whish you the best though Marck).

I  do  not use luck when it comes to computer systems. I prefer to use
knowledge  :-)  -  It's  my  business.  I first got into microcomputer
communications in 1984, 10 years after I first used a computer and - I
saw  my  first  virus  a  few  years  later.  I  have  intercepted and
eliminated  virus  infections  for  friends  and colleagues but I have
*never* been infected myself.

ACM> ... they simply cannot run the attachments but only can view them
ACM> or scan them for viruses.

I wouldn't like that :-). I do get executable attachments from sources
that  I  know  to  be  as  knowledgeable  as  myself. I am in software
development after all :-).

--
 Cheers,
 .\\arck