Hello Marck,

MDP> Hi Darvan,

MDP> On 02 February 2001 at  10:05:58 -0500 (which was 15:05 where I  live)
MDP> Darvan Shovas wrote and made these points:

MDP> <moderator>
MDP> Please trim when replying. You quoted Gerry's message in its entirety
MDP> *including* his PGP signature. That is against the rules of this list.
MDP> </moderator>

Apologies for the mailing list faux pas.

MDP> Well, try not to be. We have been waiting for v2 to come out for
MDP> over a year now and RIT labs only have two programmers. This is a
MDP> *clear* priority.

Can anyone tell me what's new in 2.0? Is it a complete rewrite? When
is the projected release? I wouldn't mind just updating the 1.xx
series. Although, they probably want to void current registrations in
the 1.xx series too and push for 2.xx registrations. Which I have no
problem with. TB! is worth it.

MDP> This may be the case, but Gerry makes a very good point about the
MDP> availability of third party components. I don't think that the
MDP> guys at RIT will be in a position to put together a Linux preview
MDP> version for around 6 months, given that v2 is under way and needs
MDP> completing, beta testing and releasing before they can even start
MDP> the job.

I've worked with C++Builder(v3 and 4: Same as Delphi, but using
C/C++), and it never occurred to me that a mature development house
would use third-party components. I know one would obviously use
Borland's components, but they're packaged and would be immediately
available. Oh well, it just seemed to me that a product the maturity
and complexity of TB! would have custom written and highy optimized
code.

MDP> This is a fair point, but OTOH, pedigree shows. Max and Stefan
MDP> wrote TB out of their familiarity with Fido and from years of
MDP> work. There is a wealth of functionality in TB that *isn't* GUI
MDP> bound and will port much more easily than a competitor can match
MDP> in a new MUA.

Well, I may have painted the situation a little grimmer than it really
is. There are, obviously, projects in development with the
functionality of TB!, in the works. Some are quite along the way to
becoming outstanding products. Admittedly, TB! has very nice little
"tweak" features that I've gotten used to that I believe other clients
would not have.

At any rate, with the release of Kylix, you can bet a lot of these
projects will move over to an established, user-friendly, commercial
RAD environment and will only accelerate their process.

MDP> They read the lists from time to time but rarely reply due to the
MDP> pressure of work. I don't like to distract them from that to
MDP> answer points of simple curiosity. I trust them to make
MDP> announcements at their convenience.

I was unaware that Ritlabs was only composed of two employees(or
perhaps programmers). I suppose I'll have to grin and bear it until
2.0 is released, and then wait for the linux version of 1.xx(which
might be easier to port, perhaps).

 Darvan                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]