Hi Darvan,

Saturday, February 03, 2001, 4:21:20 AM, Darvan wrote:

DS> Granted, it's not currently taking over millions of people, simply
DS> because there is no real reason to switch to linux, for the average
DS> user. I would hedge my bets, though, that TB! users aren't average
DS> users.

Oh I agree with that last statement entirely.  "Average" users boot the
machine and log on to Outlook Express for their mail.  It's simple, and
provides "average" functionality.  And the "average" user doesn't even know
what Linux is.  ^_-  Getting this market will be tough.  Because the
"average" user doesn't know what he or she is missing, not to mention that
M$ is not exactly a corporate pushover if they decide that you are a
potential threat to something that they are doing.

DS> There seems to be a notion that TB! users are of the calibre of people
DS> using Outlook Express. While TB! is intuitive and easy enough to slip
DS> into for the type of person who "wants their email and they want it
DS> now", I really believe the actual userbase consists of those who
DS> understand the power and flexibility of TB! and know how to get to it.

I don't get that impression about TB! users at all.  Quite the contrary,
although I must admit my impression comes primarily from this list, which
is not a very representative sample, I suspect.  But . . . the *mass*
market *does* use OE.  And getting them is where major money would be.

DS> Businesses die because of this type of non-forward, and inactive
DS> new-market-seeking vision. :)

More businesses probably die from losing their focus and chasing non- or
less-profitable mirages.  ^_-

DS> Granted, there are clients available,

There are *hundreds* of clients available, and some of them are quiet
sophisticated.  Were exmh available on the Windows platform, I'd probably
never have downloaded TB!  It's only drawback is that you just about need a
degree in programming to really configure the thing to your own liking. But
once you get that part finally figured out, you have a beautiful face on an
extremely powerful client.

Well, I suspect we've written more about this than non-*nix people ever
want to read.  (^_^)  In the end, I'll agree that there's no reason to
overlook the *nix market, but economic viability probably depends on
plain-vanilla Windows users, hence our agreement that this is the priority
right now.

--
Best,

Yuki