Hello Kevin,

Historians believe that Tuesday, September 25, 2001 at 19:45 GMT -0400
was when, Kevin Coates [KC] typed the following:

KC> I guess here is where I'm confused. If I do not include
KC> %TO="[EMAIL PROTECTED]" in the Folder Template for *new*
KC> messages, The Bat prompts me for an address.

This is a good thing.  The %TO macro in a folder level template can
cause embarrassment down the road.  You can find a good explanation of
what the problems are in the Templates section of the FAQ
<http://faq.thebat.dutaint.com>.

The problem is: With the %TO in a folder level template, any time you
create a new message, it will be addressed to the list.  Now you're
thinking, "But that's what I want."  The answer is, no that isn't what
you want.  *Every* message will cause the message to be addressed to
the list.  This includes clicking on the unsubscribe link, or clicking
on a mailto: link in your browser.  There are several cases where you
will have the focus in the folder, but you *don't* want the message to
go to the list.  TB isn't able to guess *when* you want this, and when
you don't.  You've told it to *always* send messages to the list.

KC> After I type one in, The Bat will use the address book template
KC> for new messages. I don't want to have to manually type in the
KC> address when posting new messages. It should be automatic for
KC> mailing lists as its always the same.

The best way to handle this is:
1. Create a group for all mailing lists in your Address Book.
   Select "Hide Items if not Explicitly selected"
   Note: You can give all Mailing Lists the same template by using a
         group level template in your AB.

2. For each list entry in the AB, select "Favourite"

3. When you want to start a new message, click on the little down
   arrow next to the new message icon.  You will have a list of your
   "Favourites", and any in groups will appear as sub-menus.

This method takes a little more effort, but it is *much* safer than
having a %TO macro in the folder level templates.

If you insist on playing with fire and decide to keep the %To in the
folder level template, you can reduce your risk by using the following
*instead* of a plain %TO macro:

%IF:"%TOLIST%CCLIST%BCCLIST"="":"%TO='[EMAIL PROTECTED]'"

This only adds the list address if there are no other addresses
already present.

--
Thanks for writing,
 Januk Aggarwal

Using The Bat! 1.54 Beta/8 under Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A

If you throw a cat out of the car window, does it become kitty litter?