Saturday, December 22, 2001, 3:42:14 PM, Thomas wrote:

TF> I wonder when they will finalise the Backup functionality. I am
TF> not using nor recommending it, because my old batch file is fast
TF> and backs up everything. Backup should be able to backup
TF> everything, shouldn't it?

I sure agree there.  As far as I'm concerned, a backup utility on an
e-mail client is just bloat, and especially so if it can't easily and
immediately lay down a clone of the program, including all registry
keys, etc.  But backups are a function separate from e-mail, and with
all the very good and cheap ways to do them, comprehensively, I can't
imagine relying on an e-mail client to simply keep the mail database
backed up.

For anyone interested, Drive Image Pro 5 (I have no association at
all with the folks that make this.) has got it down really pat now.
Especially if you are using something like Norton Ghost, you really
want to look into this, as it has truly become a "Ghost-killer".  You
can image a partition so quickly now, and even without (yes, without)
floppy disks.  Scheduling, the works.

And even if you're not into imaging partitions (I keep the images on
other physical drives in my system.) you can back up an entire
directory tree to another location with the command:

xcopy m:\2000ap~1\foo /c /h /e /r /k /y i:\foo-target

This command will backup the entire tree under 'foo', no matter what
you have in there.  It will get it all, and copy it exactly as you
have it to foo-target.  You can set this up as a .bat or .cmd file,
and hang an icon on your Quick Launch tool bar, or put it on your
desktop if you like.  One click from the QL tool bar, and it's done.
I my case, foo and foo-target reside on different physical drives,
and I'm willing to gamble that both drives won't crash at the same
time.  I use tape, too, but it's slower than either batch files or
imaging, it's advantage being that you don't need to reboot the
system to do it, as you need to with imaging.  But imaging is the way
to go if you are into speed and completeness.  You can image, for
example, a 3-gig partition in about 10 minutes.  The image file will
compress down to about 850 mb, depending of course on how full the
partition is.  With drives so cavernous and cheap these days, I can't
imagine why people don't use them for backups, or even do mirror
sets, etc.  You know your hard drive will crash; it's only a matter
of when, not if, so be ready with multiple drives already in the
system.

Hope this helps those who rely on TB for backing up.  There are much,
much better ways to handle this than letting TB handle it.

Best,

Yuki

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]