@ 21:14:41 +1300 [ Fri, 15 Mar 2002], Moz [M] wrote these words of
wisdom:
M> I'm thinking of shifting from Eudora to The Bat, mostly because of
M> the problems it has with large mailboxes, and also because I can't
M> turn off display of HTML messages (& requested images etc). Currently
M> my Eudora directory is about 100MB, which I think is roughly 100k
M> messages. I only get about 100/day, but I don't want to delete them
M> (I fairly regularly search the archive). Incoming mail from about 8
M> accounts is filtered into a hierarchy of folders, roughly 50 with a
M> tree depth of about 3. Max messa ges i n one folder is about 30k.
M> These figures are a bit approximate because currently I have a 30MB
M> zip file of archived messages that I had to remove to keep Eudora
M> usable.

Currently TB! cannot handle multiple POP servers per account. If you
wish mail from multiple POP servers to be in a single TB! account, you
have to either use a mail server to funnel messages (I do this to an
extent) or create filters to move messages to the desired account as
they come in.

M> How useful it "the bat" in this situation? Is it likely to crash/
M> become unstable/ slow waaay down or corrupt its mailboxes? Or
M> anything else bad ... Especially, has anyone had problems with
M> mysteriously losing mail messages? My customers get quite upset when
M> support message leak out of sight.

The Bat! works very well and very reliably with huge message bases. I
don't think you'll have much problems there.

M> Like Michael, Ill be wanting to have all messages in one hierarchy,
M> not one per POP/IMAP connection, so I'm glad that's possible.

It's possible, yes, though not straight forward as in other clients
that support multiple POP servers per account.

M> I assume The Bat is smart enough to select the account to reply with
M> based on the message header rather than the folder the message
M> happens to be in?

No. TB! doesn't work that way. You have to configure TB! to do what you
want through its templates. Through the templates and your
configuration, you can make it do a lot more than you thought possible.
:-)

M> Currently I have The Bat installed and I've imported most of my
M> messages, but it doesn't seem to have picked up my filters, so it'll

I think you have to export and import the filters separately, unless the
migration wizards have been improved.

- --
 Allie C Martin  --  List Moderator and fellow end-user
 PGPKey - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 [MUA: TB! v1.54 Beta/48 (*) OS: Windows XP 5.1.2600]
¯¯