Greg Strong [GS] wrote:
ACM>> Indeed the signing and signature verification aspects work
ACM>> nicely. I don't use GPG Shell for signing messages *at all*.
ACM>> However, for decryption and encryption I use GPG Shell.

GS> Great!  How do I make it work?

If you have GnuPG installed and working, in the TB! menu's go to
Tools/Open PGP/Choose OpenPGP Version. Select 'GNU Privacy Guard
(GPG)'.

The plug-in will now be useable.

You can now clear-sign messages, verify signatures, encrypt and
decrypt messages using the menu options and keyboard shortcuts. Look
at the 'Tools' menu in the main window and the 'Privacy' menu in the
editor.

The plugin uses smart-matching to select appropriate keys to use for
signing and encrypting. It will check the appropriate message header
fields to get the matching UID. A UID will match only if both the name
and e-mail address together match a corresponding UID associated with
a key.

For example, on obtaining your public key, I see that the UID
associated with your key is :
Greg W Strong (GoldWing Rider) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If you try to sign a message with the From name and address:
'Greg Strong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>' the signing processes will fail with a
message that the appropriate key was not found since there's no
matching UID associated with your key. If you wish to be able to sign
with the plugin you have to add all UID's that you use when writing
messages. I don't use one UID. These are the UID's associated with my
main key:

(1). Allie Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(2)  Allie Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(3)  Allie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(4)  Allie C Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(5)  Allie Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(6)  Allie Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
(7)  Allie C Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In this way, signing any of my outgoing messages will always work.

ACM>> With the plug-in, for the encrypting to work, there has to be a
ACM>> perfect identity match with the from address and a UID. Also the key
ACM>> has to be signed in some way or else you'll get an error message.

GS> Since I'm always going to use my keys for signing, all I have to
GS> do is sign my own key as being trusted, correct?

That will be OK for *decrypting*. However, if you're encrypting a
message, the plugin will look for a matching UID and then check for
trust. If there's no trust assigned, then the encrypting will fail and
an error message generated. This is why I encrypt with GPG Shell.

It should really come up with the GnuPG query that the key has no
trust assigned to it, that there's no proof that the key belongs to
the message recipient, and if you wish to to encrypt with the key
anyway.

- --
 -=Allie C Martin=-
List Moderator | ŪTB! v1.60c | Windows XP Pro
PGP/GPG Public Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=2B0717E2