On Sun, 5 May 2002, at 09:52:07 -0800 Lynna wrote:

M>> Again, don't turn PGP off, since there is no reason for it; this
M>> system is readable for all. But if you are using MS CryptoAPI then you
M>> should count on that that some of us cannot read those messages.

LL> It is too bad that the MS cryptoAPI is not supported equally through
LL> all versions of TB and other mail clients because it leaves the
LL> smallest "footprint" visually on the email when sent.

OK, I agree, as to the "visual" impression, though S/MIME in general
(not only MS's one) is sending more bites than PGP/GPG.

LL> What I mean to say is that visually it is the most appealing, less
LL> intrusive than several lines of garbled code,letters, numbers. If
LL> it were equally supported, accepted I would opt of using SMIME of
LL> PGP in every day email for that reason alone. I use PGP because I
LL> operate a web site community and I use a form which encrypts to
LL> PGP to safeguard members personal information as they send it to
LL> me. : )

Hmm, I wouldn't say it is a good idea to use anything of MS for
safeguarding whatever. I'll say it again, in the case I wasn't clear:
no any problem with normal S/MIME, but there are problems with MS
CryptoAPI's S/MIME, since the last one simply is *not* same S/MIME but
'something' "made by" M$ and is simply *not* compatible with normal
S/MIME and doesn't support a general S/MIME standard. So, if you
prefer S/MIME, I would recommend non-M$ CryptoAPI S/MIME. Though, in
general, I higly recommend PGP, especially GnuPG (Gnu Privacy Guard)
and GPGShell (GnuPG Shell) for it, if you like to work by mouse and
don't like too much command line stuff. GnuPG is tiny and powerfull
program and via GPGShell is very easy for handling. (M$ stuff just
*seems* easy and simple, but is *very* complicated, especially in the
back[s]ground, and especially regarding "security". (-;) So, if you
really care about your members would be good to avoid M$ stuff. :-)

LL>          <snip>
M>> As to upgrading: I, personally, cannot "upgrade" TB if it lack in some
M>> options which were present in previous versions, and are highly vital
M>> for me, just for the sake of some options which are highly buggy and
M>> completely needless to me. It would be in fact a downgrade or
M>> mussgrade. I, still, hope those 1.60x versions will as soon as
M>> possible be just a messy past.

<...>

LL> Out of curiosity could you share some of those options | functions
LL> that were a part of previous versions that are no longer included?

One of "lost options" is browsing by the first letter of the name[s]
of the folders through accounts/folders (in account pane).

LL> I thank you for your e-mail, it was informative, and I will turn the
LL> PGP back on, though I wish it made less of a "footprint" in the actual
LL> e-mail's sent.

You can turn the S/MIME on too (but not Crypto API's one, that is if
you'd like we who don't support API can read your digitally penned
scriptures). :-)

LL> Version "J" is working fine for me, but then, as you
LL> mentioned I have not used any version before 1.60c and therefore have
LL> no experience with TB prior to version "c" to compare it  to.

I would bravely endure all other bugs, just if they would give me back
my "browsing by the first letter of..." etc. >:-E

:-)

Mandara
- --
A man with a shorter leg is a man with a longer leg.
(__) If you need this key:
('') <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=0x257DFF36>
 \/