Hello David Elliott,

Wednesday, May 15, 2002, 2:04:01 AM, in a galaxy far, far away, David wrote:

David Elliott> I recently started to do some work for an ISP,
David Elliott> they gave me a brand new email address. I then
David Elliott> started to get SPAM that had been sent before the
David Elliott> address was active. The address had not been
David Elliott> published or used. The only way this could happen
David Elliott> was some one use the domain name and add in names
David Elliott> to that domain.

David Elliott> Don't blame The Bat! for spam.

Spammers have a trick they now use, which works if they know the
"name" of the default mail server of the ISP.  They can send a
message to "whatever"@"mailservername" and EVERYONE on the
mailserver gets a message!  The "whatever" can actually be
anything they wish to type! This really sucks, but I don't know
what can be done about it.

--
Warmest tropical wishes,
Spike

Get a PERMANENT 100MB capacity mailbox for ONLY
$29.95/year.  No more lost mail due to mailbox
capacity restrictions.  Access by POP3 or Webmail!
Earn a FREE mailbox with their referral program.
(HINT - You get $11.00 towards your mailbox for
each referral who signs up!)
Apply NOW at http://1110.runbox.com
Tired of getting every virus that comes along?
Get The Bat!  Virtually immune to virus attack.
Does not use the Windows Address Book!
http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/index.html