Hi Clive,
On Wednesday, June 12, 2002 at 13:30:51 [GMT +0100], you wrote:

CT> I've never been convinced that scanning outgoing mail is necessary
CT> if the system is clean and incoming emails/disks are scanned

I completely agree with you on this one. If a virus is on your system
and has bypassed your local virus scanner once (or simply wasn't
detected because of too old virus signatures), it certainly will not be
detected when an outgoing message is scanned.

And if the scanning takes place on the server and a message is certified
virus free (as I have seen it sometimes), how can the recipient be sure
that the virus signatures were up to date on the server? Not to mention
the legal consequences; just imagine someone executes an attachment from
a virus-free certified messages which contains a brand new virus and
starts an infection in the network of a big company.

CT> - but I'm sure that someone will tell me I'm wrong :).

Someone will, perhaps. I won't! :-)

--
Regards,
Lars

The Bat! 1.60q on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600