On Monday, June 24, 2002, Lynn Turriff wrote...

> It sounds reasonable, and I've apparently lost the mail,
> (I would have sent the header) but there was no path .. no
> received headers .. it was as though I really had sent the
> mail directly from myself to myself.

I've got one or two emails that are like that, the only received
header is the mail server itself, but re-reading shows that although
the mail says it is only sent from the mail server to itself, there is
an additional IP that isn't mine (I've pretty much memorized our
external IP addresses, so I'd spot them ;))

> The only tipoff that I *hadn't* done that was that I have a
> very old email address, and originally because of some
> peculiarity with the server it had to be used as
> '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' .. I didn't know it still worked
> in that form, but I haven't used it that way for years.
> Evidently these lists persist for a very long time,
> because it has to be at least 6 years old.

software is automatically set to accept mail for
like that.

> Maybe that explains my really severe spam problem :-)

Probably... I got about 70 odd this morning and spent a good hour
processing it all.

JA>> Glad I could help a little :)

> Yeah, you did, but it's still something of a mystery :-)

If you'd like, I can contact you off-list, and give you some better
examples?

--
Jonathan Angliss
([EMAIL PROTECTED])