Hi Thomas,

@12 July 2002, 14:20 +0700 (08:20 UK time)  Thomas F [TF] in
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

TF> ... I would think it is time for a seperate addressbook program
TF> into which email clients, PIMs, and other application can hook
TF> into...

I don't get it. Still the language problem persists. Here's why I
prize the TB "address book" (let's call it the email address manager,
because that's what it really is):

    Multiple email addresses per entry
    Group templates
    Individual templates per entry
    Tight interaction between filters / groups / multiple addresses
    Integration with macros (%AB.....)
    Address auto-view giving a "video-mail" like capability when the
    photo facility is used.

*Every one* of these superb features would be compromised (interfered
with) by the use of an external AB or PIM. No PIM would even *want* to
hold the kind of information used to give this functionality.

I don't want addresses and phone numbers in TB. I *do* want the extra
space those fields provide so that I can cheat group templates to use
(e.g.) %ABtofax them to give extra levels of intelligent
customization.

The TB email address manager ROCKS! Just stop calling it an Address
Book and it suddenly looks *so* fit for purpose.

The cross-over between addresses in my PIM and addresses in TB is so
small. 10% of my TB contacts are in my PIM. 105 of my PIM contacts are
in my TB AB. The information I keep in TB about those people only ever
crosses over in the Name. That's it.

Sure, all names in one place has merit on paper, but clear thought and
analysis shows what a waste of space it would be to chuck all people
data in one place.

Of course, this is all IMHO and only to provide the counterpoint. I
accept that not everyone uses information in the same way and that
there may yet be some truly compelling argument for full integration.
I just haven't seen one that isn't full of holes and fuzzy thinking
yet.

- --
Cheers -- .\\arck D. Pearlstone -- List moderator
SB! v1.61 on Windows 2000 5.0.2195 Service Pack 2
'