Hi Jan,
On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, at 14:08:40 [GMT -0400] (19:08 where I live) you wrote:

JR> Hi Thomas.

JR> At 1:29 PM on Saturday, August 03, 2002 you wrote the
JR> following about [a real mystery]:

TF>> [...] Some disk utilities will mark those sectors as
TF>> "bad" and will not allow the O/S subsystem to use them
TF>> again. That's what you need, [/...]

JR>   Can you suggest one that works with NTFS rather than
JR>   FAT32. I had considered Spinrite v5 only to discover that
JR>   it doesn't work w NTFS. I have a feeling that if I could
JR>   do this, this particular problem would be solved. Any more
JR>   of these & I would certainly consider changing HDs
JR>   quickly.

I would have from the start.

Example,  I  lost all of my email from 1996-2001 cause of a disk fault... mind
you, I was using LookOut at the time.

That  was  all  my  Westminster  correspondance, thousands of emails from user
groups,  correspondence  with  friends and colleagues gone - thanks to one HDD
sector.

Now if I get them, the disc goes. Fortunately I moved over to SCSI at the same
time for my system disc as well...!

03 August 2002, 19:15
                                   [ Adam Rykala : [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
                                   [ [new-wales] project : www.new-wales.net ]
                                   [ Private key : [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]

My keyboard keeps changing what I type.

All  messages  both  into  and  out  of  this  account  have been scanned with
AntiVir's Antivirus Mail Gateway for Linux. However, all attachments should be
scanned  also  with  a  virus checker at the receiver's end to ensure that the
files  are  clean  and  free  of  virus  infection.  All  messages are for the
attention of the recipient only.