Hello Peter,

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002 08:23:55 +0200 GMT (29/08/02, 13:23 +0700 GMT),
Peter Palmreuther wrote:

TF>> Alas, with TB's filtering system, we don't need spam identifying or
TF>> scoring tools.

PP> I tend to disagree.

PP> Don't get me wrong: TB! does an excellent job in mail filtering, and I
PP> think you're right it can be set up to identify most of incoming spam
PP> by itself; but keeping spam filter in TB! up-to-date can be a hard
PP> job.

No. You got me wrong here: I do not have a single spam filter in TB. I
have filters for all legit mail. What stays in the *Inbox* is either
spam, or a first contact that hasn't been added to any of the other
filters yet (and could be called a false positive).

I receive around 100-200 mails per day, inclduing an average of, say,
10 spammails. For my purposes, my way of using TB's filters (and thus
*not* filtering spam as the only kind of email) is sufficient. If,
however, you are the postmaster of an ISP and receive 800 messages per
day, mostly first contacts, my method will not be sufficient for you
and you  might want to look into spamfilters. For me it would be an
overkill, whether I use Bayes' Theorem or Einstein's Relativity
Theory.

PP> So to sum up: as good as filter capabilities of The Bat! are:
PP> external spam recognizing tool, specialized to do exactly one
PP> thing: recognizing spam, are a good addition in 'fighting spam'
PP> :-) And tools like SpamAssassin that don't rely on _one_ criteria
PP> are IMNSHO the way to do it :-)))

For 'fighting spam' I use SpamCop. ;-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Sign in a London department store: BARGAIN BASEMENT UPSTAIRS

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.62/Beta1
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM