Hello, Thomas,
 Thomas wrote:

TF> Hello Mary,

>> I have TB configured to run HTML because the programmer advised me to
>> do that,

TF> Who would that have been? The programmers are at Ritlabs. I haven't
TF> set TB to display HTML automatically, and I won't. ;-)

Maxim. I wrote directly to Maxim. The e-mail address is in the TBUDL
"Welcome" letter.

>> ...after I got a strange error code: "Call to OS failed," when I tried
>> to open a series of messages from TBUDL in my In-Box.

TF> I have never seen this error message. I wonder what is going on.

No one else had ever seen it either, on any of the Lists I wrote to.
Being such a Newbie, and interpreting the instructions to mean that
all technical questions should go to TBTECH, I sent my query there and
not to TBUDL. No reply yet to that Post. And I asked on the Rootsweb
COMPUTERS-L. Searched Help <vbg>, the FAQs, the ARCHIVES. Finally in
desperation I started reading the TBUDL welcome letter again.

In almost 5 years of using this system, I have never seen that error
message before. I have a 4540 Compaq PC with Pentium III and a 3.2 GB hard
drive, of which 1.2 GB is in use. I have 32 MB of RAM. My OS is
Windows 95B (a more stable revision of Win95--Maxim right away asked
me what the B meant.)

After awhile he got back to me and instructed me step-by-step how to
enable the HTML mode. I was running it in Text. So I did it. No more
"OS" error messages. Since the messages I was trying to open were from
TBUDL, I did not understand why that would make a difference but
didn't want to take up any more of Maxim's time asking for an
explanation. But on 5 consecutive messages I got "Call to OS failed,"
and the messages wouldn't open.

Being so inexperienced with The Bat!, I just deleted them. (Wish now
I'd saved them.) I then closed the program, re-launched it, and it has
continued working just fine. But I was afraid sometime it might happen
again, with really important mail, :-), so I wrote to Maxim.

RE the large file on which TB and Windows crashed last night:

>>I could FWD the code to him or to Ritlabs if I knew how.
>> Can I do that without opening the message again?

TF> :-) Yes, you just need to send the folder. You don't even need to open
TF> the message.

Thanks, Thomas. I will set about doing that. :-)

--

Mary