Joseph-

JN> There might be some decisions that need to be made, but that doesn't
JN> turn it into a slipper slope, nor does it have anything to do with
JN> HTML. Appearance is not the biggest problem with HTML, and I agree
JN> that HTML is not the way to go. As for the decisions on how much
JN> enrichment to provide, I guess it's a functionality analysis, how much
JN> would be beneficial for the users and the product. I think that
JN> tables, bold, underlining and italics would be a sensible package, in
JN> that it would not only be very functional but also be set of
JN> attributes that generally go together (except for tables). I think
JN> color and size variations, and other fancy fonts, are all things that
JN> could be reserved for attachments if necessary; but others might have
JN> their own views. The fact that a decision or cutoff would be
JN> necessary, though, seems like a poor reason not to undertake the
JN> effort.

Actually, I think it's exactly this thinking that led M$ eventually to
the executable attachments in Lookout. Folks brainstormed about more
and more features they'd like to see in email messages and finally
someone came up with the (in Harry Harrison's wonderful quote, waaay
out of context here, "miracle of misguided engineering") that the
email client should be able to launch applications automatically.

I agree with you that the fact that a decision has to be made is a
poor reason not to undertake the effort. There are better reasons not
to undertake it, but that certainly contributes to the total effect.
I'm not willing to let YOU decide for ME what features to include or
exclude, any more than I would expect you to let me decide those
things for you. And Paula makes the point that if the effects are
user-configurable, as they would need to be, then the text won't
necessarily look the same on the receiving end as they would on the
sending end - thus all you'd be ensuring is that things look cute on
*your* screen.

-Mark Wieder

 Using The Bat! v1.61 on Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2