Hello all,
Saturday, November 9, 2002, rick wrote:

> Please point your browser to the very reputable/independent virus
> testing lab - virus bulletin
> http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml
> This lab tests virus products from all vendors who wish to have their
> product tested. If you notice AVG has failed all the tests except 1.
> This is obviously not a very good product.

As I know, there are some wiruses, which are old and not spread via
Internet and Grisoft have not their source to implement them to
database. AVG catched all viruses I have ever received and it is real
reason I'm using it. I have tested many AV programs, Kaspersky and
NAV received many VB awards, but not detected some of in-the-wild
viruses, I have received. Problem was in too slow update. BTW
Kaspersky version 4.x was worst AV I have ever used, many users had
problems with it.

> The eicar-file is not a virus. Therefore many security professionals
> would state that not detecting a non-virus is a good thing. False
> positives will cause a failure at the prestigious virus bulletin
> testing labs.  I would be more concerned that AVG failed all but 1
> test than I would that it failed to detect the eicar-file.

As I wrote already, Eicar is detected by AVG, but nested messages are
not correctly sent to plugin and it can't check them fully. This is a
confirmed bug by The Bat! Support.

> Again, not trying to step on peoples toes but simply wish to provide
> my fellow TheBat! users with some accurate information.

Informations are not "accurate", please try to understand the problem
before You send them as "accurate".

> I would recommend you to use Nod32.  It has the best results of any
> product tested at virus bulletin. I use Nod32 in conjunction with
> TheBat! and I have never had one virus problem.

NOD32 is very good product, I know developers as I know developers
from Grisoft and I recommend it too. But problems with Eicar are not
on AVG's side, but on TB's side :-(

--

Bye

Marek Mikus
Czech support of The Bat!
http://www.thebat.cz

Using the best The Bat! 1.62/Beta7
under Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 3
AMD ThunderBird 1,2 GHz, 512 MB RAM