Hello Allie,

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:58:19 -0500 GMT (20/11/02, 05:58 +0700 GMT),
Allie C Martin wrote:

TF>> Everybody can buy the "Personal" version, and this doesn't say
TF>> anything. Even students are entitled to buy it. If you want to
TF>> pay less, you will have to live with this (minor) privacy
TF>> compromise.

> Minor to you. Not minor to others.

> Advising that they pay more is, uhm, frivolous.

No, I am suggesting that they pay the normal price if they are
concerned about this. If they want to get a special student discount,
they have to accept the compromise. You cannot only take advantage
(in this case a special student discount) without having to compromise
on another end.

> Especially when there's no justifiable reason for this breach of
> privacy. Whether or not you qualitatively agree with Sean's concern
> is besides the point. The fact is that his concerns wouldn't have
> existed if the X-Mailer header didn't include the license type.

You chose that by yourself. It is not that you advised somewhere in
the registration form that you are a student, and suddenly it appears
in your headers. It is that you have chosen the student version of TB
- and that version has "student" in the headers.

TF>> Some lawyers use AbacusBat.

> You don't have to be one to use a copy.

No, but that wasn't my point. (I don't think a non-lawyer would have a
need for AbacusLaw, though.)

TF>> If there were a version integrated into a medical program and it
TF>> would make sense for you to use that version, I don't think you
TF>> would consider MedicalBat a breach of privacy.

> Yes, I would.

Then don't use the integrated version. You see, it is really down to
you. You have the actual choice.

> However, there's a good reason for giving it a medical related name
> since it's really an application suited for those who do medicine.
> I'd therefore consider it a reasonable and justifiable breach of
> privacy.

That's what I am saying. You get something, you have to compromise on
the other end.

> Give me a good reason for specifying in the X-Mailer header, the
> nature of the license involved in getting identical copies of TB!.
> How does this help the recipients of your messages?

It doesn't help the recipients, but it helps marketing. If this is not
clear, we would probably have to move to TBOT. However, I am referring
to STP theory (segmentation, targeting, promotion).

> No matter how minor *you* may consider this breach of privacy,
> there's no good reason for it so it shouldn't be. What good reason
> is there to include this information in the header?

STP. And, after all, you do have a choice, so what is the problem?

> I can see why SecureBat! should be specified as opposed to The Bat!
> and AbacusBat. No problems there. Why the (Personal), (Educational)
> and (Business)? I guess Ritlabs has something to gain by doing it as
> they did with the serial numbers. I guess you didn't consider the
> serial number inclusion a breach of privacy as well?

I didn't until someone pointed out the traceability to individual TB
users and the possible consequences for such users in dictatorial
countries. Now, this is what I call a breach of privacy. But you
cannot trace an individual user by the current TB headers.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Wanted: $10,000 reward. Schroedinger's Cat. Dead or Alive.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.62/Beta7
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM