The aborted email download has been traced to enabling MailSafe in
ZoneAlarm.  It is supposed to "protect your computer from incoming
e-mail attachments that contain malicious code or viruses."   It is
supposed to quarantine "these attachments, preventing them from
running without your permission."

Rather than quarantining these particular e-mail messages, the
MailSafe option caused all of my e-mail clients, including The Bat!
to hang or time-out when it encountered one of these strange messages.
Examining the message on my mail server, they appear to be completely
innocuous.  They are typically small text messages with no attachments
whatsoever.

I have opened up a case with ZoneLabs to determine why this option
breaks the mail download process when certain messages are
encountered.

 Lawrence Johnson                    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]