Hi ~John,

@9-Feb-2003, 14:17 -0600 (20:17 UK time) ~John [j] in
[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

I have reformatted this message without the top posting because it
is harder to work out what's going on in a vacuum. Please see below
for a lecture on why it is preferable to *not* do that in this list.
In terms of list rules you've ended up with far too many untrimmed
quotes and not enough context.

To put it succinctly - this is how your conversation appears:

Terrible
> how does it smell?
>> My dog's got no nose.

Anyway - back to the topic:

(I have a new method to solve this and will reply further up the
thread).

 ... <snip>

>> I hit the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Alt+S and it put the message in the
>> outbox, then I sent them, however I got this error message back from
>> Spamcop:
>> "SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:
>> SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:"

j> Is this how the reply template supposed to be setup?

 ... <snip>

Your reply template has nothing to do with SpamCop submission, which
uses a custom template built into the manual, hotkey triggered
filter. If you have installed the filter correctly, it will format
the message correctly.

** Stock essay about top posting. **

Top posting means that you put the cursor at the top of a reply and
type everything you want to say there.

Top posted replies make messages harder to read than they should be.

When you are having a private conversation and you know what you're
saying to an individual top posting has a certain validity (I still
don't do it - I don't find it at all pleasant to read that way, but
this isn't about my personal preferences).

When you are in an environment where many readers and many topics
are present at once, you force everyone to read your reply text
(because it's at the top, it's seen first), think to themselves
"What's that about then?", scroll down to read the quotes for
context, think "Oh, I see... now I know what it's about, does that
change anything in what I read first?", and scroll back up to read
what you wrote in the light of improved context.

It's much easier for the writer, yes. But email should be designed
for the reader.

A reply works better broken down conversationally:
> Someone makes this point.. (snipped)

A reply is made with this response.

>> A point made two messages back (snipped)

> and this was said to make someone think

Which leads to this summary.
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Only contextually relevant text remains. It is easy to read and
follow the conversation without having to scroll up and down or
think too hard or read more than once.

Also, since the text is trimmed to the bare bones to facilitate the
conversation, there's no worry about excess or untrimmed quotes.

- --
Cheers -- .\\arck D Pearlstone -- List moderator
TB! v1.63 Beta/6 on Windows 2000 5.0.2195 Service Pack 2
'