Hello DG,

I don't wish to nitpick - I'm new on the list, and have only been
lurking until today. But I did just want to make a couple of
points...

DRS> The header pane does not reflect actual information. Just sent
DRS> and received and it may be deceiving based on the MUA used.

That's true, the headers reflect the time on the MUA, not the time on
your PC. Either clock could be wrong or right. The recipient can make
an educated guess at which is more correct, but will rarely have any
proof.

DRS> I do this because I have quite a bit of business correspondence
DRS> daily and I want to insure, REGARDLESS of transport (MTA) and
DRS> display time, that once I affix my PGP signature, utilizing the
DRS> new or reply templates that I have here, that there is NO doubt
DRS> on the receiver end at what time I created the reply. So ...

Created. Not sent. A very important difference, for some people. When
I received this message, it said that it was sent at 23:10. That's
perfectly correct. Yet your procedure adds the time at time of
creation. From that, I can surmise that it took you eight minutes to
create the reply. (Not necessarily an accurate time, especially as
either machine - your MUA or PC - could be out by a minute or more,
for all I know.)

More importantly, though, The Bat! correctly shifted the first MUA
timestamp to MY timezone when it displayed it in the message list.
That's why I said 23:10 - I had to shift your in-message datestamp
into my timezone manually in order to get the time taken when
calculating the above. A trivial operation, but I could only do this
because I'm aware of the fact you're in a different timezone after
having looked at the headers to see what the time on your first MUA
was.

That's why I rely upon the MUA timestamps, as do many people - because
good mail clients will adjust the times to suit the reader's timezone.

I therefore have two suggestions: Firstly, consider stating your
timezone after the time in your new message/reply templates. That will
help prevent any confusion on your recipient's side.

Secondly, at least one person obviously prefers to read the message,
then worry about times. I doubt there would be a complaint if this
information appeared in your sig, like this:

Message created on Wednesday, February 26, 2003 at 6:02:17 PM EST

The information will still be there, just at a slightly different
location - and far clearer for all your recipients, who will then be
able to differentiate between time zones AND the date/time created and
the date/time it was handled by the MUA, as per your intentions.

All of this was intended in a helpful, constructive and friendly
manner, naturally. Do with it as you wish. :-)

 Philip                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Using The Bat! v1.62i on Windows 2000 5.0 Build  2195
Service Pack 3