Hello Jernejcic,

On Monday, March 10, 2003 at 8:17:06 PM you [JA]wrote (at least in
part):

P>> No ... but were in The Bat! you've seen "shared folders"?

JA> what a sophisticated question.

That's what I'm known for ;-)

JA> I am talking abount the folders, that are called "common folders" in
JA> The Bat! .

Not just "called" ... _named_ :-) A sophisticated, but important,
difference.

JA> imho, to use common folders could sometimes, in very special
JA> situations, mean, that they are shared - got it?

As every other folder could, in very special situations of course, be
shared. They're named "Common folders" not because the can be shared
without hassle between different people, but only because they don't
belong to an account.
Sharing folders requires "lock and sync actions" being implemented.
As these "common folders" are only belonging to a "virtual but
non-existent" account I don't think special file handling, taking care
of locking and syncing, was implemented. So how should they update
automatically? The Bat!s speed comes from "semi intelligent" use of
indices and "keep in memory as long as you can". If The Bat! would
need to lock and sync every operation if would _slow down_
significantly. So your best bet is: Create a Wishlist item (follow the
URL in list footer) for _Shared folders_. RIT could this way create a
special kind of folders, marked as "sharable" which makes use of "lock
and sync" (with all slowing down effects), while all other folders are
unaffected and kept fast.
Current implementation is only designed to be thread-safe, not
share-safe, you're expecting something that ain't programmed. Like if
you'd expect a Fiat Uno being able to drag your mobile home, to spare
the costs of a truck :-)
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther

You will be recognized and honored as a community leader.