Hello Peter,

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:56:35 +0100 GMT (12/03/03, 17:56 +0700 GMT),
Peter Palmreuther wrote:

TF>> In any case, I think the current version of not locking files at all
TF>> is dangerous if two users write to it at the same time. Any
TF>> application that is networkable should you file locks. This is true
TF>> for message files as well as for address books.

> That's right ... But The Bat! ain't "networkable" in a standard
> "TCP/IP Workstation" installation. Wherefrom The Bat! should know you
> share folder over network using _Windows file sharing_??? It don't.

Indeed it doesn't, so the safe way is to lock/unlock files that might
be accessable over a network. There is no problem with
locking/unlocking files if they are only accessed on a stand-alone PC,
and there is no delay (well, maybe a few nanoseconds), so why risk
data corruption?

> Therefore the (unsatisfying and to what I've read about it not 100%
> working) The Bat! Server mode is implemented. This way it knows
> about sharing and can handle concurrent accesses.

TB's server mode has something to do with a center downloading the
mail and the clients only connecting to the center rather than to the
internet. Of course, they also share files (I don't even know whether
they are locked, but they should be). But I am not talking about the
server mode.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it! (Yogi Berra)

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.63 Beta/5
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM