Hello Peter,

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:00:23 +0100 GMT (11/03/03, 16:00 +0700 GMT),
Peter Palmreuther wrote:

> So your best bet is: Create a Wishlist item (follow the URL in list
> footer) for _Shared folders_. RIT could this way create a special
> kind of folders, marked as "sharable" which makes use of "lock and
> sync" (with all slowing down effects),

Well, it's been a while since I programmed on networks. On a 40-user
network, all data files were shared. It didn't slow down the system to
just lock and, after successfull transaction, release the files. Of
course, if one user opened the file, nobody else could access it, but
the data integrity was preserved; so if user's access to a file is the
delay you are talking about, there is certainly a delay, but it is
necessary for data integrity.

You could refine it by limiting the lock to write access, so if any
user was only reading the file, others would still have access - to
both read and write. If someone else writes to the file, you could
still not update the file on the user's screen who only reads it,
until the next time he opens it. In small networks, this could be
sufficient. Otherwise, if the client has to check regularly for
updates, I agree it may slow down the program.

In any case, I think the current version of not locking files at all
is dangerous if two users write to it at the same time. Any
application that is networkable should you file locks. This is true
for message files as well as for address books.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Wann wird denn endlich der Niagara-Fall geloest oder die Formel 1
ausgerechnet ??

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.63 Beta/5
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM