Ok - I've double checked it now with no anti-virus running or
firewalls or anything such, just the bat, and it hangs in the middle
of either getting the number of message, or getting the first or
second messages, for about 3 minutes every time. Nothing to do with
anti-viruses zone alarm or any of these things. Plain old dial-up
connection here, nothing fancy in my setup really. Checking mail on
one account only.

Any point in trying the beta version to see if it disappears ?

All the best,
Aidan.