Marck-

But... some warnings...

Tuesday, August 5, 2003, 2:16:11 AM, you wrote:

MDP> The messages.tbi file is safe to delete. In fact, it's far safer to
MDP> delete it than to replace it with an older copy. If it is missing,
MDP> TB will recreate it.

MDP> The result may yet reveal that the messages.tbb file has its own
MDP> problems, in which case the mailbox repair utility may help.

...always make a backup copy of both the .TBB and .TBI files before
doing anything like this, just to be safe. You can always delete the
copies later on. I've said "yes" to the "repair?" message and had it
delete six months worth of emails. Having the backup files allowed me
to get back to where I was and try some other options.

MDP> You certainly should set your Inbox folder to "Compress on exit" in
MDP> the Inbox folder options to ensure that it doesn't become clogged
MDP> with relics of moved/deleted messages.

...but not until you've cleared up the problem with your corrupted
inbox, or else you'll never be able to shut down cleanly.

------------------------

And here's the story on "compress": when you delete messages, they are
only flagged for deletion, they are not actually removed from the .TBB
file. You can see them later on by selecting "Browse deleted messages"
from the menu. The "compress" command does the actual deletion and
compaction of the database, but can take some time, depending on the
number of deleted messages in the file. If you've never done this then
the size of your .TBB file will probably decrease dramatically. Also
TB will run faster, since there are fewer messages in the database to
go through.

The .TBI file contains, among other things, an index into the .TBB
file for faster access. If something gets out of sync then you will
get the "rebuild" message from TB. If there's no .TBI file then TB
will generate a new one for you. This process takes a bit more time
when starting up TB since it has to look at each message to get the
message counts and headers.

-Mark Wieder

 Using The Bat! v1.63 Beta/7 on Windows 2000 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2