Saturday, September 6, 2003, 3:56:16 PM, Jack wrote:

>> I wish there was a concise description of the
>> changes/additions from 1.62 to 2.0 somewhere.

JM> Make that two of us.

How about this one? It's not exactly concise but it's pretty
comprehensive and is worth a look through! It's taken from the
Readme.txt file which is included with v2.0 on installation:

(BTW there is a concise summary on the Ritlabs website here:
http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/ )

What's new in The Bat! 2.00?

[           Legend:          ]
[ + Added feature            ]
[ * Improved/changed feature ]
[ - Bug fixed (we hope)      ]

[!] Fully reworked true IMAP support
[!] PGP/MIME support added, so it is now possible to send PGP signed/encrypted files
without hassle
[!] An ability to send out messages in HTML format
[!] Built-in support for PGP v6-8
[!] Completely rewritten preview pane with more sensible options
[!] Universal interface for handling signed/encrypted messages - no matter which
system is used
[!] Scheduler is now available in the SmartBat window or by pressing Alt+F6
[+] Possibility to use an alternative editor using the Message Editor "Options|Message
format" menu options[+] Check Spelling before Send/Queue option in the message editor
[+] "Specials|Remind later" menu for setting message reminders
[-] Specials| Create Filter (Shift-Ctrl-F) didn't work when message auto-view was
turned off.
[-] The Bat! didn't support the SMIMEEncryptionKeyPreference S/MIME attribute and thus
was unable to verify digital signatures made by Outlook XP.
[-] SmartBat contents wasn't saved when exiting The Bat! with open SmartBat.
[-] Fixed some incompatibilities with RFC2797 (Certificate Management Messages over
CMS).
[-] There was an action in sorted/office filters which was logged as an error and
caused an exclamation sound.
[*] In case of CRAM-MD5 authentication failure on SMTP, there is a fallback to less
secure authentication mechanisms, unless "Require secure authentication" option is
checked.
[-] Fixed a bug in "Message Redirect" command with inserting the redirector's Reply-To
information into the redirected message if the original message didn't have the
Reply-To field set.
[-] Removed flickering in the About box when the credits are scrolled.
[+] Possibility to choose MailTicker folders at once by right clicking on the
MailTicker.
[-] Attachments were not deleted from the attachments directory when they were deleted
from the Trash folder.
[-] TLS error messages weren't logged.
[-] "Sender" was added to the address list in "Reply To All" command.
[-] Change of Account/Folder directory and removal of account files wasn't handled
gracefully.
[-] The Bat! didn't properly support Serbian Cyrillic.
[*] More diagnostic information is given when reporting error in displaying html.
[-] A work-around for the WinSock buffer overrun bug.
[-] Parameter SELECTED was ignored in <SELECT> tag of HTML messages.
[*] The Bat! issues 'RSET' SMTP command after each message sent to prevent subsequent
message to be send to addressees of a previous message on some odd servers.
[+] Forwarded flag can be used in the "View|Display|Advanced filtering".
[-] Local delivery was working only for one message per address.
[-] Some problems with splitters.
[-] Address books were not restored correctly for "fresh" installations.
[-] Messages restored from parts were not checked for viruses.[*] Folders are now
stored in new format (ACCOUNT.FLD), which should be more safe for networking and
system crashes
[*] Some CSAPI engines (like Czech, Slovak, maybe Polish and others) are handled more
precisely
[*] Windows editor: sticky setting, spell checking, search/replace
[*] A possible work-around for some CSAPI spell checking dictionaries
[-] Folders were not correctly created automatically when a message-based filter was
created (Specials|Create filter) (introduced in 1.63 Beta/1)
[-] Even Quoted text color/style was not remembered (introduced in 1.63 Beta/3)
[-] Some cosmetic fixes to the new preferences dialogue
[*] Windows plain text editor now wraps text in a more comfortable way :-)
[*] SmartQuoting algorithm is improved a bit.
[-] New Accounts did not keep properties (bug introduced in 1.63 Beta)
[-] "Reply to Sender" was erroneously using the Sender message field instead of From
[*] Display name for address book editing is now done is another way
[-] Search for whole words was not working correctly is text was starting with a
searched word(s)
[-] Wrong account could be used for reading confirmation message if a message from a
different account was selected prior to RC creation
[-] Access Violation when the common Trash folder was deleted
[-] Email addresses with a ' were not highlighted correctly
[-] Menu Navigator did not change language before its reset or program restart
[-] URLs were not functioning in SmartBat
[+] More access options for accounts with user rights.
[+] Ctrl+Ins in a message list copies URLs (in msgid: form) of selected messages into
clipboard
[*] New Preferences dialogue is now adjusted accordingly to user access rights
[-] Input Focus was lost after print dialogue
[-] Fixed a bug which didn't allow to search in base64-encoded string longer than 255
characters.
[-] Print character set bug
[-] Copy to Clipboard character Set bug
[+] Folder Maintenance Centre replaces "... All Folders" Folder menu commands
[-] Shortcuts were not loaded correctly for second+ instance of windows of a
particular type
[-] Folder-specific print settings were not saved in the new format folder database
(introduced in 1.63 Beta/1)
[-] When printing multiple messages, if the print dialogue was cancelled, only the
selected messages got cancelled, the rest was printed
[-] Division by zero error when viewing images on a zero-size preview pane
[-] Last message in a folder was not opened when msgid: URL was used
[+] Possibility to add user-defined headers to the preview pane header or messages
[+] The "Print selection" option for message preview
learning engine...
[*] Completely rewritten template subsystem with possibility to add macros from
plug-ins.
[*] New syntax for macros: it is now possible to use brackets instead of ="..." (in
some cases it is now required - see below). Plus, quotation marks are not required for
one-word or one-macro parameters.     Like %IF:%CCLIST=="":"CC is empty":%CCLIST
[-] %ACCOUNT="..." followed by %FROM="..." macro combination ignored the latter
[-] %TO*NAME and %ABTO* macros were using information gathered at the start of
template processing. ATTENTION: please correct your templates if you were relying on
this "feature"!
[+] %VARnnn="..." (equal to %_nnn="...") macros to set variables, use %VARnnn (or
%_nnn) to insert variable value. Variable name can contain alphabet characters, digits
and "_"
[+] %SETHEADER("RFC Name","Value") macro to set a message header to the Value, use
%ADDHEADER("RFC Name","Value") to add value to a header, use %HEADER("RFC Name") to
retrieve value of a header (%OHEADER("..") retrieves header from the original message)
[*] New options for missed scheduled events (useful for message reminders)
[*] A slightly changed look of the Connection Centre
[-] Cancel of a sending messages was not working correctly
[-] Windows editor text size was limited to 2K bytes (introduced in Beta)
[-] Various bugs related to the new folder storage mechanism
[-] Delete attachment was not always working correctly
[*] application/pgp-keys MIME type is now properly handled
[-] Copy was not working in the preview header
[-] Focusing and splitting quirks in the separate window viewer
[-] "Export message to a text file" filter action was not working properly
[-] %NO... macros were not working
[*] Built-in PGP 5-8 support did now invokes search on primary key server (some more
work required to get it look for keys on additional servers)_
[+] PGP/MIME options in the Privacy menu of the message editor
[-] %SingleRe macro was not working
[*] Passphrase caching is now active for PGP 6-8 support if PGP version is 7 or 8
[-] %ONELINE / %SINGLELINE macros could cause lockup since Beta/8
[+] %WRAPPED(Limit, Text) macro for more precise text wrapping
[+] %ONELINE="Some Text" / %SINGLELINE="Some Text" macros produce "Some Text" as a
sinle line
[-] URLs in attached messages weren't usable from the preview pane's "inner viewer"
[-] Text/RichText messages were not shown on the new preview pane
[*] Quoted printable and base64 encoding algorithms slightly changed to prevent
"blending" on Yahoo mail servers so the signed messages are not damaged
[+] %OTEXT macro - the original message's full text without headers (may be useful in
replies quoting selected text only)
[-] In some cases the message base repair utility could hang
[*] "Good old" reply/forward behaviour when RFC 822 headers were shown in the preview
[-] msgid: URLs were working only if the folder parameter was present
[-] %QUOTESTYLE="None" was not working as it should
[-] Message Editor was not using correct quotation prefix for "Paste as quotation"
commands
[-] Some cosmetic bugs in HTML editor[+] "Advanced" button at the "Mail management"
page of the account properties dialogue for fine-tuning message deletion and IMAP
handling
[+] Deletion property page in the folder properties dialogue to override account-wide
deletion settings
[*] MailTicker view gets automatically refreshed when new messages are detected
[*] It was possible to add internally processed headers to the list of headers
[*] It is now possible to cancel folder compression/purging
[-] When a new header was added/deleted, option menus were not updated
[-] Custom header descriptors were not actually deleted
[-] Some fixes to updating folder message counters
[+] %CURSOR="Field ID" macro for setting focus in a particular editing field, where
the "Field ID" is BODY or TEXT for the message text or RFC name of the header
[-] The "Empty Trash folder on Exit" was ignored
[-] SmartBat was not refreshing while when pads were switched
[-] "User" account with disabled Sorting Office could create filters
[-] When messages were moved between accounts, separated attachments were not removed
from the attachment directory
[-] Search was producing false positives
[-] The "Print card" button was not functioning in the Address Auto-view
[-] Extra spaces were added into the names with special RFC 822 characters
[*] Option to delete large messages from server for POP3 accounts
[-] It was not possible to manually set message priority
[-] Folder emptying could stuck (introduced in v2 Beta/3)
[*] A confirmation is displayed when replying on a message being already replied
[+] The SIZE SMTP Extension is now supported
[-] All queued mail was sent when Re-Send of a single message was requested
[-] Oddities when manually adding senders/recipients to the address book
[-] When a block was deleted in MicroEd, the editor window could be emptied despite
there was some more text
[-] Search/Replace in MicroEd/PTV was not looking for whole words
[-] A bug with address completion when the name in an address contained comma character
[-] MailTicker was not working with IMAP folders (Beta)
[*] Message/disposition notification parts are now viewed in the message preview pane
[-] Trash Folders were emptied after compression
[-] "Compress All folders" option was not working
[-] The Delete key was not function from the preview pane
[-] Multipart messages with ill-formed headers were not displayed correctly
[-] ISO-2022 and its descendants is now supported with ICONV.DLL
[-] "Nothing to send" problem should be minimised :-)
[-] IMAP folder message counters were not refreshed after "Mark all messages as read"
command[*] More sensible default for display name for newly created address entries
[-] A warning about used filter Hot Key was not displayed
[-] Bugs with displaying HTML messages from multipart/alternative messages
[-] It was not possible to reopen an HTML message for editing

--
Cheers,
 Anne

Flying high with The Bat! v2.00 on Windows 98 4.10 Build  2222

Visit The Bat! Users' Unofficial Help Forum http://the-bat-forums.donzeigler.com